[GeoStL] I'm thinking about giving away my old Garmin GPS III

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:47:49 -0600

-
GPS III, with latest firmware upgrade
Carrying case
Cigarette lighter power cable
PC data transfer cable (DB-9 femaile connector)
Users Manual
This is an old unit.  You can upload waypoints, but
the map is in the firmware and cannot be updated.

On the good side, the LCD screen is bigger and
more readable than the newer Garmin E-trex series.
Plus the rocker panel is huge! (no stubborn
'click-stick' here).

This is the rub:  You will need to replace the external
antenna.  I can give you the one that came with the
unit, but it is cracked and worn and I'm sure it
doesn't work.  Either buy a replacement, or, like
I saw one guy do a few years ago, build your
own 'active' external antenna and mount it inside a hat!
It worked really well because your body isn't in
the way of the satellite signal.
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0210036.pdf
I also know that there are others who frequent this
newsgroup that have experience with buying aftermarket
cables.

If interested, let me know.  I will consider the
neediness of the requestor (SwordMaster, you
listening?!)

(konopapw)

The Garmin III unit has been discontinued, so
unless you can get it at a rock-bottom price
(less than $150), it really isn't worth buying.

The basemap of the U.S. release GPS III includes
highways and major routes in the U.S. and outlines
of countries and major cities, internationally. If you
can find one of these on fire sale, go for it.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/accessory.htm
The second kind of remote antenna is used with the Garmin II and III
families. These unit already have an external antenna attached to the
backside. You simply remove the supplied antenna and attach a
replacement. The connector in this case is a BNC connector. In this
configuration there is no need to sense and switch the antenna since
only one is plugged in at a time.

Here is a link for the uber-electronic geek:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=71138

Subject field