[GeoStL] Re: Help from the computer whizes, please.

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:34:50 -0600

-
If you had it on before you got DSL, then probably not, but some folks
get DSL because they are going to start working from home rather than
just for surfing, so along with the DSL, you may have introduced a VPN
to connect to work, or an anti-virus program that you didn't have
before. So if Norton was there when it was working, then it is probably
not the problem.
Do you have a 2-wire DSL modem? They have a built in firewall, and it
could be a factor. But if I knew the real issue, I would get my own
going. Fortunately it hasn't be a big annoyance for me, so I have not
put much effort in trying to figure out what is wrong. For that I am
thankful since I don't have a lot of time to spare. Whoever figures it
out first, let the other one know ;-)

Edwin Biesemeyer wrote:

>-
>We have Norton Systemworks on the computer.  Is it possible that this could be
>the problem?
>Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-
>I am also on DSL with SBC/Yahoo, and I have gotten similar errors. Never
>thought of relating it to the DSL connection though. I just thought the
>media player was broke, or the content was corrupted. But I got the
>similar results regardless of IE or Netscape, and in some cases, I even
>tried an alternate player. But if I save the file and play it in the
>stand alone player rather than trying to play it in the browser, it will
>play. That is how I got the horse clip to play.
>
>Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a log for the 2-Wire
>firewall to see what it is rejecting, so that makes it tougher to try
>and track it down. Do you have any other type of anti-virus running
>like McAfee or perhaps a VPN set up for getting into work? Some of the
>VPNs, like Checkpoint have a firewall built in that is active even when
>the VPN is not active.
>
>Edwin Biesemeyer wrote:
>

>>-
>>I hook up to the internet using DSL with SBC/Yahoo. Ever since doing so I
>>have not been able to use my Windows Media Player to access any online
>>content such as the one that was distributed on the forums tonite. I keep
>>getting an error that tell me, "Unable to access media. You might no be
>>connected to the internet." I have to view the internet as if I am offline
>>because of some reason or another. (I guess)
>>We had some problem with the browser window that SBC/Yahoo offers and I use
>>Internet Explorer Browser 6.0 now. I use Windows 98 OS.
>>Can anyone help me? If you think you can, e-mail me off the forums please.
>>
>>Digger Odell
>>
>>-Edwin
>>on the web at:
>>www.edwinglenn.com