[GeoSTL] Re: GPS tracking and SouthWestern Bell

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:33:43 -0500

The SWB tech has a son who tried satellite PC, but
because he was a gamer, he couldn't stand
the lag you get with satellite.  Plus, anytime it
clouded up, he lost signal.  (I have DirectTV,
so I know all about 'rain fade'.)

He said his kid now has ISDN, but before that,
he tried the trick of bonding two modems and
two internet connections together to get more
bandwidth.

I agree with Brian that the start up cost for
satellite PC has to come down in price
if they want to get more people interested.
I'm glad to see they finally figured out the
technology to be able to upload instead of
just download.  Yet, just like any other form
of connectivity, satellite PC is also subject
to bottlenecks based on the demand volume.

ISDN is expensive and I've had it for at least
4 years.  But now that my ISDN modem
is in the shop, I'm using a 56K (getting 46K
connectivity) to get online.  The slowness
and constant disconnects are driving me crazy!

To justify this message in this newsgroup,
let me add some obligatory words:
GPS
geocache
trinket