[GeoStL] Clarification on end-of-year archives

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "St. Louis Area Geocachers" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:20:06 -0600

-
I get tons of mail with lots of questions. Since I looked up the info
again for this one I thought I better share it before I forget it. :-)

QUESTION.....
 > Please clarify for me which cache categories will disappear at the end
 > of the year.  I know locationless will go away, but there seems to be
 > some debate in my local area about whether webcams, earthcaches and
 > virtuals are disappearing, too.

I have been reading everything I can find relevant to the subject and
there is a lot of confusion about the whole mess. People often confuse
virtual caches and locationless caches. As you know, they are not the
same. The fate of locationless caches is well known.

I will lead you thru what I have found that seems to be reliable about
other cache types.

1) There is that a giant *possibility* that all virtual caches might get
archived. (at this point, I am not sure of when, no timetable was set
for virtual  caches and webcams)

I found a thread in the forums    http://tinyurl.com/aymvd   "Future of
Virtuals" and Jeremy's response was  a bit unclear.

*He said: "The question up in the air is whether or not virtuals will be
archived or just left grandfathered on the site. I'm leaning towards the
latter."
then he said.. "Oops. I'm leaning towards the former. Sorry for
the confusion."

I know that not everyone at groundspeak wants the virts to be archived
but I think J really does.

*----
On Nov 28, there was this post at   http://tinyurl.com/ddc43   To date,
I think it is the best source of accurate info.

    "... you are correct in your understanding. There is no "plan to
    have all 'virtual' caches moved into Waymarking.com." I do regret
    any confusion which may have resulted from that statement earlier in
    the thread.

    Existing virtual caches and webcam caches will remain grandfathered
    on the Geocaching.com site unless and until Groundspeak decides to
    change that. NEW virtual, webcam and locationless submissions are no
    longer being accepted on Geocaching.com. All of those are finding a
    new home at Waymarking.com. Existing locationless caches -- and only
    locationless caches -- will be archived and locked at the end of the
    year.

    Reliable sources for the above information include the section on
    Grandfathered Cache Types

    http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#grandfathered
    http://tinyurl.com/cbnn8    in the Geocache Listing
    Requirements/Guidelines document, and the Read Me First
    http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105681
    http://tinyurl.com/ckczf   thread that's pinned at the top of the
    Getting Started With Waymarking Forum.

This post does not address Earthcaches because volunteer cache
reviewers (such as me) do not have and have never had any responsibility
for new Earthcache listings or for later actions taken in regard to
existing Earthcache listings. "

*I thought for sure that I read someplace that virts would eventually be
converted to waymarks but maybe it was an unofficial chat or just a
bunch of folks talking about what could happen. I could have been just
dreaming too.

Glenn

Missouri Geocachers Assoc  http://www.MoGeo.com
*THE*   Forums for Mo & Ks. http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?

Dave's Handy Hiding Hints http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm
Add yourself to the Geocachers map at
http://www.frappr.com/missourigeocachers
Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived
http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=95b9690b-3fae-4cfd-a82c-c27fa3ab0cee
Subject field