[GeoStL] Re: Careful? Not caching in 100+ MPH winds! Perhaps crazy, but boy was it a thrill!!!!! RE: Re: Be careful out there !

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:42:37 -0600

-
 I drove the coast out there once. It was really something to try to get
usedto. If you were behind something that was shielding you from the wind as
you drove along, then broke out into the open, your car would just change a
lane or two on its own before you had a chance to react. You have to
anticipate where it is going to happen to have any chance of staying in the
same lane.
Our own Midwest version of uncontrolled lane changes happened to my brother.
He was driving a tractor trailer in an ice storm. It got so treacherous, he
had to stop. But when he did, the wind against the side of the truck
combinedwith the ice under the truck made it a big sail, and it just started
pushing the rig across the road with all the brakes locked up. He had to
drive to stay in control and not wind up being blown off into a ditch.

Jim Bensman wrote: - Yea someone who lives out there told me the winds on
thecoast were generally about 100 MPH. It all happened pretty quick and I am
not sure if I was hit by a wind gust or sustained winds. I am glad I did not
think through all the things that could have happened as I might not have
done it. Since it all worked out well (other than my Goretex pants being
ripped) and it was one of the most thrilling days of my life, I am glad I
didnot think it through. I started out dreading the drive and as the wind
started blowing the adrenaline started flowing and the faster the winds got
the more thrill there was. It was such a thrill to see nature at work and to
experience it first hand. Jim Bensman "Nature Bats Last" -----Original
Message----- From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1] [mailto:geocaching[2]-
bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3]] On Behalf Of Jon Mertz Sent: Monday, November 20,
2006 4:43 PM To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[4] Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Careful?
Not caching in 100+ MPH winds! Perhaps crazy, but boy was it a thrill!!!!!
RE: Re: Be careful out there ! - Well, since terminal velocity when
skydivingis about 100 MPH, I would think to hold you up it would take a 100
MPH wind, and to pick you up it would take anything more than that. Since
youweren't moving vertacally but rather horizontally, I'll guess it would
take less actual windspeed, but the wind probably bounced off something (so
to speak) and got a bit of an upward angle on it. I would NOT want to be in
that, considering what a twig or piece of sand moving at 100 MPH could do to
human flesh. I wouldn't feel safe stopped in a car either, much less moving
in one. On 11/19/06, Jim Bensman <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>[5] wrote: - I
wonder if I set the world record for the most extreme weather caching in. I
had to log a DNF in spite of parking 250 feet from the cache after I was
blown about 20 feet through the air and barely got back to my car! Here is
mylog:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b1cd7c47-ee0f[6]-
48ca-97 a4-7315f840ad23 or the cache number GCQJHY. Did you hear about the
big windstorm on the Oregon/Washington coast Wednesday? I drove down the
coast in it. One of the most thrilling days of my life! I am really not sure
how fast the winds were. All I know is the winds were the highest at the
beaches and I was 500 feet from the Pacific Ocean (nothing between me and
theocean but sand and grass) at the height of the storm. I heard on the news
that the highest speed recorded was 122 mph. And the wind picked me up and
threw me 20 feet through the air and ripped my goretex pants. Anyone know
howhigh of winds it takes to pick you up and throw you in the air? All I can
say was it may have been insane, but it was such a thrill! A couple of notes
on my Garmin 60CSX. It worked perfectly in the planes everywhere. It also
hadno trouble maintaining a fix in the extreme tree cover of the ancient
rainforests. However, on one trip in the rainforest of Olympic National Park
(mostly closed due to washed out roads or snow) in a mountain canyon, it had
some trouble. It never actually lost the signal, but it had some accuracy
issues twice. I also really liked the built in tide tables. They were great
when you were going to the beaches. The Western National Park 24K was
accurate on the topography and vegetation, but there were some issues with
some trails not on it and some being in the wrong place. But overall it was
really good. Jim Bensman "Nature Bats Last" -----Original Message----- From:
geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[7] [mailto:geocaching[8]-
bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[9]] On Behalf Of Mike Miesner Sent: Sunday, November
19,2006 1:07 AM To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[10] Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Be
careful out there ! - Jim did shoot himself in the hand, but he did not fall
out of the stand. It happened while pulling his gun up to the stand. mmeese
On 11/18/06, Eric East <christianherper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[11] wrote: - Is he
theguy that fell out of his tree stand and shot himself in the hand? -----
Original Message ----- From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>[12] To:
<geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[13] Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 10:44 AM
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Be careful out there ! - I know I have taken many
chances while out hunting, thinking it is not going to happen to me. How
dumbto think that way. I hope your hand recovers to full normal. Bernie.
-----Original Message----- From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[14]
[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[15]]On Behalf Of Mike Miesner Sent:
Friday, November 17, 2006 12:39 AM To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[16] Subject:
[GeoStL] Be careful out there ! - On Monday morning Jim Berding of the
Incrediberds suffered major hand trauma during a deer hunting accident. He
isdoing well, but asked me to remind everyone to think "SAFETY FIRST !" Jim
has been hunting for years, and is very knowledgeable in gun safety, He asks
that everyone takes an extra moment just to be sure.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:geocaching
   3 mailto:bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx