[GeoStL] Re: A Puzzling Cache... and some thoughts

  • From: bromley@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Griffin <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:41:49 -0500

-
I agree with Dan about caching and losing the beginners.  My son, who is 14,
isn't fond of the micros.  He'd rather look for "An another ammo box in the
Woods" type caches.  He and I scoured that sink hole last week for over an hour
an, not even once did he say he was bored or wanted to give up on it.  When he
looks for micros he isn't as enthusiastic.  I don't mind micros but haven't a
clue as to even how to start on Puzzle caches.  It's not that I can't do them,
it's that I don't know how to start to solve them.

We need to continue to provide a good mix but also help bring along the
beginners to the point that they aren't intimidated with Puzzle caches and look
forward to solving and finding them.

It's all about education to advance the sport. We need to create ways for the
more experienced cachers to share their experience with the beginners.  I can't
tell you how many logs I've read from people who've had a string of DNF's and
have given up. I've come to the point now that I can spot a lot of the obvious
hides as I walk up to an area.  It's at that point, I start enjoying the micros
because they take more systematic searching.  I didn't appreciate them at my
first 20+ hides, I was happy to find anything at that point.  It's the same way
with puzzle caches. Once I get a clue as to how to solve them, I'd probably
enjoy them as much as the next person.  Right now they are too much bother.

The more people we involve in the sport, the more caches we'll have to look for.
 The better trained those people are, the better quality hides we'll have.