[GeoStL] 500 Feet off RE: Re: JC Event

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:18:43 -0600

-
I suspect we made the error, but even if it was yours, if you had not done
it (or if we had not messed up on writing it down), we would have never been
able to find a cache when our GPS said it was 500 feet away!  How many
others have found a cache 500 feet from the coordinates they had?  It was a
lot of fun and I let out a big victory yell when I finally spotted it after
a couple of hours of looking!

In case others missed it, here is my log for St. Stanislaus #3

I did this one with the Happy Kraut. We found it and the coordinates we had
were about 500 feet off!!!!!
We hiked all the way up there. Our GPS were pointing out in the middle of a
field. That did not seem right. But we thought maybe there was some well or
something in the field. But we could not find anything. If we looked in the
woods, the coordinates we way off. So we figured something was wrong. So
Bernie started making some calls on his cell trying to find some help.
Nobody was answering.

So we thought maybe we messed up on the coordinates. The one we found at the
first cache, we thought was certainly right. Bernie had even wrote it down.
(It turned out to be the wrong one). The other coordinate I had called out
and Bernie had not double checked. So we thought that might be the problem
as I the cache coordinates were also listed.

So we figured we could still find it as we clearly were on the right trail
and we knew it was within 50 feet of the trail. When we reached that
coordinate on the trail we searched both sides of the trail there with no
luck.

About that time Strider returned Bernie's call. But he had not done the
cache. But he checked the cache page and found Goshawk had done it. So he
had him call Bernie. It had been a while since Goshawk done it so he was not
sure and most of what he told us turned out wrong (but we really appreciated
his effort and it did help).

So having a better idea of what we were looking for, we expanded the search
area a lot more. We did lots of looking in lots of brush and woods. It got
to the point where we both figured we were going to get a frowning face. So
we started heading back. But we kept looking for possible spots. Bernie
spotted a trail off the trail so we headed off on it. Then I saw something
that looked like what Goshawk had mentioned. So I checked it out and sure
enough it was there. I let out a victory yell.

The GPS indicated we were about 500 feet from the cache. It turns out the
first coordinate was the wrong one. We had XX.2XX when it actually was
XX.3XX. I do not know how we messed that up as we were so careful.

Anyway this was also a real nice walk and there was a real nice view. This
was lots of fun, especially finding one 500 feet from where the GPS said it
was.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field