[gameprogrammer] Re: multi threaded programming

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:40:06 -0600

Alan Wolfe wrote:
> does anyone know a good book or tutorial online about how to properly
> do multi threaded programming?

I've seen somewhat positive reviews of O'Reilly's book Intel Threading
Building Blocks (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514808/),
although I haven't looked closely at the actual library itself.

I took kind of an odd route to learning multithreaded architecture and
design, and ultimately found the information in Windows System
Programming
(http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Programming-Addison-Wesley-Microsoft-Technology/dp/0321256190/),
 to be sufficient for my needs.  It covers most of the low-level Win32
API (i.e., everything but the GUI API), including threading primitives,
and spends several chapters showing different ways to use them, caveats,
and comparisons with POSIX threads.

If you actually want to do POSIX thread programming, I think you will
want the O'Reilly Pthreads book, but possibly another one to talk about
good design.  Beyond the above C/C++-centric books, there are a ton of
books that are based in Java... but I don't know anything about them.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker