[gameprogrammer] WebGL has low quality bilinear filtering?

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 13:21:32 -0700

Anyone out there do any webgl? might be a generic gfx question though...

Check this out:
http://demofox.org/BilinearTest/bilineartest.html

The left side uses the built in bilinear filtering and has obvious noise /
non smoothness in the interpolation.

The right side grabs the four pixels and does the bilinear interpolation in
the shader, which makes for nice smooth interpolation.

No matter i try, i cannot seem to make the built in interpolation higher
quality. I've tried a few different machines and all major browsers, all
has the same results.

Does anyone know if this is a solvable issue? or is it what we live with,
with current hardware?

Thanks!!