[gameprogrammer] UT2004 GameBots & JavaBots

  • From: Dirk Schembri <maltadirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:44:02 -0800 (PST)

Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Dirk Schembri. I am current in my final year of my BSc in Creative
Computing. As a thesis project I have chosen to use the Unreal Tournament
together with JavaBots and GameBots.
My aim is to create a dynamic environment which is dependent on A.I.
interactions performed in real time during the game.

I am using the following Tool:
(1)    JavaBots for Unreal Tournament (http://utbot.sourceforge.net/)
(2)    Unreal Tournament Java Bots (http://sourceforge.net/projects/utbot/files)
(3)    BotRunnerApp Tutorial
(http://utbot.sourceforge.net/javabot_screenshots.shtml)
(4)    Pogamut 2 Server
(http://artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz/pogamut_files/Pogamut_v2.4.1.exe)
(5)    GameBots 2004
(https://artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz/pogamut/tiki-index.php?page=GameBots2004)
(6)    Original Copy of Unreal Tournament 2004
(7)    I apply UT2004 Patch 3369
(http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2004/ut2004essential.php)

I am having problems getting Bots created in JavaBots into UT2004. The
following
are the procedure I’m following:
1.) I start UT2004, Join Game, LAN;
2.) I start Pogamut 2, Death Match Server;
3.) I start JavaBots.jar from JavaBot-all-0.11 and follow 'BotRunnerApp
Tutorial' (http://utbot.sourceforge.net/javabot_screenshots.shtml);
4.) Once I create a Bot, I use ‘localhost’ as server name and left port number
as default (Bot Port:3000, VizTool Port: 3001). Then I click on ‘Connect All’;
I manage to establish a connection however the bot I added do not appear inside
UT2004 LAN when I click 'refresh' botton.

What’s the ideal UT Server to use?
Does JavaBots works with UT2004, or do I have to use the original UT?

Could you kindly assist me in setting up and running Bots using Javabots &
GameBots.

You assistance would be greatly appreciated.

King Regards,

Dirk Schembri