[gameprogrammer] State of Computing education

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gameprogrammer <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 11:30:38 -0500

I went to school way back in the dark ages starting college in fall
1971. I then went back to graduate school in starting in January 1981.
I now teach at Austin Community College in Austin Texas. So, I have a
limited view of what is being taught in the world at large and a
limited view of how it has changed. I also have no good idea of how
the educational system is meeting the needs of the students.

At the risk of starting a huge flame war, I would like to ask you all
to tell me about the courses you had/have to take in school and what
they were worth to you when you got out into the working world. Also,
what kind of classes do you wish you had taken. What kind of classes
you wish had been required. And, what books, online resources,
materials you use to fill in the gaps.

Also, did you schools do anything "interesting" to aid your learning?
Did they use online systems, or was it all just sit in a class and
listen traditional lectures? To give a silly example, I've eliminated
the use of paper in my classes. I have flexible due dates on homework
and projects (why not, the computer does most of the grading).  I've
also eliminated in class tests.  I only take roll the first couple of
weeks to make sure people are coming to the right class. OTOH, I work
with people who still do everything on paper, take roll every class
and make attendance 10% or more of the grade.

Have your instructors embraced the 21st century or are they still
holding onto the 19th century?

I want to hear your experience and opinions on computing education.

Bob Pendleton

P.S.

The school I went to changed their name from "The Computer Science
Department" to the "School of Computing". They were never comfortable
with the use of the term "computer science" and I agree with the name
change. Despite occasional slip ups I've stopped calling is computer
science and started calling it simply "computing".

Oh, yeah I went to the University of Utah.