[gameprogrammer] Re: MUDs

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:02:51 -0600

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 14:03, Alan Wolfe wrote:
> hey guys,
> a buddy of mine is trying to make a mud.  problem is he sucks at coding C++
> (and programming in general), he's a total newbie.  He is, however, an
> experienced MUD administrator so he has a strong MUD background.
>
> He cant take an existing code base and change it because he wants to charge
> for this MUD (realistic or not thats what he wants to do) and all code bases
> hes seen have said they cannot be used for profit in their license.

Keep looking. A quick check on sourceforge came up with over 900 MUD
related projects including several complete MUD servers all licensed
under an open source license that allows you to run a server for profit.
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=86&page=1

It may be that he doesn't understand the licenses. Looking at
sourceforge I quickly found tinyMUD and LambdaMOO were there. All free
for the taking and using.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +