[gameprogrammer] Game programming in VB?

  • From: <toddjasp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:08:04 -0500

Hey guys,

        I've posted on here before, but I'm looking to get started with a
project. I am a pretty experienced programmer in Delphi, but have only minimal
experience in other languages such as C++ and Visual Basic. I've been using
Visual Basic now exclusively in my present job for about 4 months now. I'm
confident enough in Visual Basic that I'd like to start to develop a game in VB
just to both enhance my Visual Basic skills and to also improve my
understanding of how games work.

Someone gave me Dark Basic... the entire thing, manuals, box, and CD. I've been
reading it and it's acutally pretty interesting.

My question however is, are there any "engines" that I can simply download and
begin using? I'd like to start off with something fairly simple like a game
similar to Starflight or Starcontrol. At least something that's more
programming than having to rely on a lot of graphics.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any comments or advice!

Thanks!!!

Todd