[gameprogrammer] Re: A question about frame rate in game programing

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 18:02:03 +0100

On Sunday 06 March 2011, at 17.39.22, Siyuan <csy97@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> But, why Blizzard use update() rate> 100fps ?

Most games just render as fast as they can, or "throttle down" only if the
frame rate goes above some "pretty high" value, as anything else is asking for
trouble.

For example, if the user has a 70 Hz display setup with vsync enabled, trying
to throttle to 60 fps is a very bad idea... IMHO, if there is to be any
throttling at all (and there probably should be, as there are many, many
broken setups out there; drivers with retrace sync disabled by default and
whatnot), it should be optional and configurable.

> Some monitor's refresh rate support> 100fps?

Yes, I had some high-end CRTs that would do well over 200 Hz in lower
resolutions. This could actually make a visible difference on extremely fast
animations - but realistically, proper motion blur would probably be more
efficient and just as effective.

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |