[gameprogrammer] Re: 2D to 3D

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:00:00 -0700

Hey Azeem,

For 3d you probably want to check out DirectX or OpenGL and start learning
about those.  DirectX is probably more marketable than OpenGL (which is kind
of unfortunate!) but either one is a must know for 3d graphics.

I myself don't have a degree and got into game programming professionally,
but i had to spend 6 years as a non-game programmer before they took me
seriously (and had about 10 years hobbyist experience on top of it).

Your mileage may vary (:

In the end, yes, you can still get into game programming without a degree,
but a degree certainly does help!

There are also gaming schools like digipen in washington state where you can
get a degree in making games, you might want to check a place like that out
too.