[fvlc-l] Update: 2010 A Library Odyssey WLA- Support Staff Conference

  • From: "Magno, Valerie D" <magno@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:05:01 -0500

Support Staff Section Conference
2010<http://www.wla.lib.wi.us/sss/conferences/2010/index.htm>: May 26, Fox
Valley Technical College, Appleton
Information link:
http://www.wla.lib.wi.us/sss/conferences/2010/index.htm

Content:
WLA-SSS Annual Professional Development Conference

Sponsored by the WLA Support Staff Section and the Fox Valley Technical College
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Fox Valley Technical College Appleton Campus
1825 N. Bluemound Drive, Appleton, WI 54912
9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Registration:
Word<http://www.wla.lib.wi.us/sss/conferences/2010/Registration.doc> or Online
Registration/Payment<http://web.memberclicks.com/mc/community/eventdetails.do?eventId=251145>
Either registration method allows you to pay with check, credit card or ECH.

Preliminary Schedule

9:00 - 9:30 Registration and continental breakfast

9:30-9:45 Welcome from Dr. Susan May, President of Fox Valley Technical College

9:45-10:45 Keynote - Tasha Saecker, Director, Menasha Public Library
The Commons
As libraries turn more and more to technology, what does that mean for our more
traditional services? How does technology change the face of the library? How
does the future library differ from today's? Will we still have books on our
shelves? How in the world can librarians keep up with the fast pace of
technology change? All these questions and more will be answered as Tasha
Saecker speaks on the future of libraries and technology.

10:45-11:00 Break

11:00-Noon Are You Game?: The Library's Place in the World of Gaming - Jeannie
McBeth
The Commons
History of gaming: why we game, who are gamers, and what the world can become
if we game more.  How do libraries relate to gamers?
What roles can we play to help encourage literacy, enhance access to ideas, and
promote learning and culture within our library facilities with gaming?

Noon- 1:00 Lunch: Librarians in Movies

Breakout Sessions

1:00-2:00 BadgerLink: Now and Moving Forward - Martha Farley Berninger
Computer Lab - Room G149
Martha Farley Berninger, Team Leader for Interlibrary Loan and Reference,
Reference and Loan Library, Department of Public Instruction
The information landscape is changing and BadgerLink is evolving also to meet
patron's needs. This session will review current offerings, especially anything
new in the last year, and give a sneak peek at the coming goodies.

1:00-2:00 Is getting a MLS in your future? - UW Milwaukee and UW-Madison
Room E130
Interested in creating a new future for your career? Come hear representatives
from UW-Milwaukee and UW-Madison give new and exciting options for getting a
master's degree at these institutions.

2:00-2:15 Break

Breakout Sessions

2:15-3:15 Social Media 101 - Laurie Boettcher
Computer Lab - Room G149
What is social media? Why should you care about it? How can you protect
yourself? Learn how to set up accounts and protect your privacy on the Big3:
Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.

2:15-3:15 Yoga in your chair! Mark Geiger, Affinity Health
Room E130
Join Mark Geiger from Affinity Health as he shows us how we can keep healthy
into the future from behind a computer.

Last updated: April 13, 2010

Contact WLA<mailto:wla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Wisconsin Library Assocation<http://www.wla.lib.wi.us/> / 5250 East Terrace