Insertion point representation change

  • From: Brendan Murphy <bmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ftcdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:30:45 -0500

I am considering changing the way insertion points are handled.
Currently the insertion point can be represented as a single
integer that is the offset into the document. This representation
can be ambiguous in certain situations like on the border of a
paragraph. Where does the insertion caret go (the end of the first
paragraph or the beginning of the second paragraph)?

I want to change the insertion point to a class representation
that will change it into a combination of absolute paragraph index
and an offset into the paragraph. This way you can represent any
point in the document with absolute precision.

The downside to this change is that it may break your existing
code. I want to know if and how much this will affect you. This
change is coming, but I want to make it as painless for you as
possible.

FTC Website: www.truenorthsoftware.com/Realbasic/FormattedText.html
Set List Options (digest and vacation modes): www.freelists.org/list/ftcdev
the subject field.