[fsug-thrissur] One year to the Turning Point ... I remeber...

  • From: Tinku Sampath <tinkusam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-thrissur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bestfriendsatmca2k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:14:40 +0530

Everybody,

Renaissance 2005 - An event which touched every one's soul... The biggest contribution to the society that ever happened in the history of  Govt. Engineering College, Thrissur... A presentation from the unbreakable hearts of GEC.... An event which was built up on the Thirst, Struggles, Perseverance, Hunger, Dream, Surprise, Pain, Confidence, Obstacles, Plan, Agony, Joy, Ego, Calamity, Love, Friendship, Tears, Complex, Aim, Thoughts, Sacrifice......

..... Classes.. Exams.. Teachers... Sponsors... Money... Department... IC Software... me and you....

... Today ... We can dream the past ... build the future ... we have consideration ... we have relations ... we are confident ... Just look back ... go back to the past year ... Who were we? ... Now ... Where we are? ....

We are celebrating the anniversary... the year which was a turning point ... lets join again ... walk again ... let this spirit ... unity ... follow us ... we are on the move to make a better tomorrow.

At this ocassion i remember... all of you remember... A reply which ' started ' everything to a mail which ' dreamed ' everything...

From:     "ND." <datastructures@xxxxxxxxx>
To:         renaissance2005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Renaissance 2005
Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:50:22 IST

Hi,

Good to see that one more FOSS event is happening in the country.

FOSS events were started by Linux Bangalore in December 2001.
Followed by GNUnify in February 2003 &
Then by Linux-Asia again in February 2004 &
now Renaissance 2005.

Dates of LINUXASIA 2005 were announced on February 13, 2004.
It will be held from February 9-11, 2005 in New Delhi.

Here are some of my suggestions for Renaissance 2005.

Event Contents:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Install Fests for the newbees.
  Showing newbees how to set up Linux, BSD & HURD on your PCs.
  This could cover how to setting up dual boot machines, partitioning etc.

2. Techie Talks (1 1/2 hrs.)
  This could be talk from techies about emerging open-source topics
like clustering.
  For more topics & great sppeakers list you could see
  # http://linux-bangalore.org/2003/schedules/
  # http://linux-bangalore.org/2002/schedules/
  # http://linux-bangalore.org/2001/schedules/
  Also check http://www.linuxasia2004.com/

3. Tutorials (4-5 Hours)
  We in our syllabus have proprietary products like VB, VC++, Oracle etc..
  In tutorials complete comparing can be done say between Oracle & PostgresSQL
  The talk co-ordinator can cover the topic in very much detail and
the student
  whois well versed with Oracle would be able to grasp the Postgres
part very fast.
  You can have pre-requisites for such talks.

4. Movie Screenings
  # Some from DDJs TechCast Archieve
  # The Code
  # RMS Lectures
  # Revolution OS

5. Paper Presentations
  # Topics list i will send later

6. Poster Competitions
  "A picture speaks more than a 1000 words.."
  You can make posters and put them on your website so that students
from other colleges
  can dowload and use them for their labs.
  Posters could be like screenshots of OpenOffice.org Writer, Anjuta,
Evolution Email etc..

7. Hands On workshops
  No this is not as simple as Install fest & If you are able to pull
this this would be the
  fist ever Hands on workshop in India.
  You can have network of computers and a techie can gives hands on
guide on how to set
  NFS, NIS, QMAIL, SENDMAIL, KERBEROS etc....
  You can add Linux From Scratch...in it

8. Cheat Sheets & Quick Reference Cards e.g.
  http://www.tldp.org/REF/ls_quickref/QuickRefCard.pdf
  http://www.tldp.org/REF/Joe-Command-Reference/index.html
  http://www.tldp.org/REF/CVS-BestPractices/CVS-BestPractices.pdf
  If you create more such cards and distribute them at event or put
them for sale at the event
  the community could benefit from it.
  Since we have lot of time you can ask for contributions from the
community itself.

9. SLIDESHOWS
  Something like
http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=41&slide=1
  With paper-prsentation and poster competition you could have slide
shows as well.
  or if facultys in your own college would give assignents of such
type to the students on various topics
  then like tldp.org you can have your own set of slideshows for the world.

10. Talks which are not techie.....and from High Profile ppl.
   Like in GNUnify there was a grand slam day in which there were
different themes like
   # Introduction to Free Software
   # Free-software in Education
   # Made-In-India
   # Open-Source - The National Agenda
   # RMS Talk - The Guru Speaks.

11. Indian opensource and free software projects apart from Localization
   # Anjuta
   # ........long list....
   You could make directory of it and can make another slide show.
   ..
   This slidesow would motivate budding programmers about
contributing to freesoftware.

Hope you find these 11 points useful.

If you need any other help please write back.

Best regards

--
N.D.

--- Renaissance Gectcr