[fsug-calicut] LINUX For You [Commercial]

  • From: "Niraj Sahay" <niraj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:52:42 -0000

Dear Readers,

Last couple of months have been simply rocking for the community -
first it was Red Hat who rocked the centrestage with the release of
Fedora Core 5 and this time it was Novell's turn to hog the limelight
with the release of their much-awaited and celebrated distribution,
SUSE Linux 10.1. Though it was tight, but LFY managed to bundle SUSE
Linux 10.1 DVD with June 2006 issue. Check out the LFY DVD this month.

This month, we have tried to keep the content also equally rocking. As
always - from newbies to power users, from biz users to policy makers
- there's something for everyone. Our cover story this month deals
with the issue of trademarking of the brand 'Linux'. We continue our
exploration of Asterisk - the revolutionary open source telephony tool
- by finding out how to write dialplans. There is also an article on
how you can create your own applications for Symbian based smart
phones. For the newbies, we present three great open source tools -
FreeMind, F-spot and Scribus - that find use in applications like idea
management, photo management and desktop publishing and are sure to
make your life simpler.

A good news for the game crazy. Starting this month, LFY will carry a
regular news column featuring latest updates from the Linux gaming
world. Also, in the 'Down Memory Lane' series, we look at the turn of
events that made OpenOffice.org stand where it is today.

For Techies
~~~~~~~~~~~
*  Outsmart Your Smart Phone
*  Running FreeNX on Fedora Core 5
*  Scripting a Remote System Shutdown
*  Writing Asterisk Dialplans
*  Enhance Your Java Stack Trace Using JPrintStackTrace
*  Boot Linux From USB Pendrives

For Newbies
~~~~~~~~~~~
*  Excellent Photo Management Using F-spot
*  We Will, We Will...Map Your Mind
*  Scribus - A Snappy Approach Towards Desktop Publishing

For Decision Makers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* TuxHeroes: (1) Alp Management Consultants
                     (2) Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technology
                     (3) DTDC

* Interview: Mr. Faisal M. Paul, country manager, HPC & Linux
technology solutions group, HP India

For Policy Makers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Mounting The Development Juggernaut - The OSS Way

The LFY CDs
~~~~~~~~~~~
SUSE Linux 10.1 DVD

LFY CD #2 - A collection of software, games and updates.
 * Developers: PHP For Applications - PHP Framework, MoonShine IDE,
OpenLDev, Ultimate++
 * Newbies: WengoPhone, FreeMind, F-Spot, Scribus, Wallpaper
 * Power User: Linux Bandwidth Monitor, Bandwidth Management Tools,
MRTG - The Multi Router,               Traffic Grapher, Planner,
TaskJuggler
 * Fun Stuff: Stellarium, Cube, CubeCombat
 * Updates: Kernel 2.6.16.18, Fedora Core 5

Our effort is in your hands now. We hope you cherish reading the issue.

WHERE TO GET YOUR COPY?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Problems getting a copy of LFY? Feel free to reach out to our
distributors (IBH) listed below:
# Ahmedabad - Mr. S. K. Sharma (079-26577068)
# Bangalore - Mr. Devaru Bhatt (080-22261305, 080-22252385)
# Chennai - Mr. Vijay Rengan (044-28273893)
# Hyderabad - Mr. Ramesh Rajgopal (040-27564945, 040-27561140)
# Kolkata - Mr. Mehta (033-2498096/97)
# Mumbai - Mr. Indur Vaswani (022-24943707)
# New Delhi - Mr. P. K. Das (011-23313014/15)
# Pune - Mr. Ashok Basant (020-26131261)
# Trivandrum - Mr. Hari Kumar (0471-2475443)

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE OR COMPLAIN?
Go to our website www.lfymag.com OR email at support@xxxxxxxxxxxx OR
call at 011-26810601/02/03

FSUG-Kozhikode Home Page :