[fsf60k] Re: fsf60k Digest V7 #46

  • From: "Janet Liotta" <janetliotta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 13:25:41 -0400

Dear All, (most especially: Peter, Dick, Lisa F, Carol W. and all the
Students for 60K),

As you might already know, our beloved La Casa Comunal, has had to close due
to eviction from our "home" of the last nine years.  Our landlord is
developing luxury apartments and boutique shops on the premises.
 We had a little coverage in Newsday on our closing and more is on the
PATCH.com/Farmingdale website.  These accounts were reported by Bart Jones
and Pam Robinson, respectively.  On PATCH there is room for comment.  If you
could enter something it could help us--possibly.
However, my real reason for contacting you all is to give HEARTFELT THANKS
for everything FRIENDS has done to support us through the years.  We would
have had to close many years ago if you weren't by our side.  Between
Students for 60K and FRIENDS we have received almost $10K in assistance
through the years.
Our first contact was DICK W., then with Newsday.  He came to our struggling
cause and brought along with him our first group of enthusiastic teenagers
from Northport High School---STUDENTS for 60K.  What a shot in the arm that
was!  They started their first English class on a Monday night in 2004 and
have continued faithfully every week of the school year since then.  This is
perseverance; this is dedication!
Initially, the students directed the ESL program very capably and
responsibly by themselves.  It evolved and grew.
In the last few years, the program has been directed by Lisa Perez Flanagan.
Lisa was on site with the students every Monday and brought with her a
professional presence, bi-lingual skills and a very perceptive pair of
"parent antennae".
What our future will be, if it will be, is up for grabs.  In hope of
something, we have placed our most important, can't live without items in a
10 by 10 storage facility.  The men first chose what they wanted the
most-------photos of their parties with the Students for 60K, their
bedraggled, 7 foot Christmas tree (we had a tug of war on that one), English
word posters that were given to them by SF60K, TV, a world map, coffee pot,
rice cooker, 2 microwaves and a beat up love seat (another tug).  They are
positive thinkers; they are survivors.
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers!
Students for 60K has made such a positive impression on the FCVS (La Casa
Comunal) organization.  Our present and future world is in their excellent
hands.  Thank you, first, to their parents who planted seeds of generosity
and benevolence in their hearts and then to Northport High School who
allowed those seeds to be collectively nurtured in the supporting social
environment of SF60K.
Muchas gracias a todo por todo!

Sincerely,

Janet Liotta

Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:08 AM
To: fsf60k digest users
Subject: fsf60k Digest V7 #46

fsf60k Digest   Tue, 03 Jul 2012        Volume: 07  Issue: 046

In This Issue:
                [fsf60k] Meeting postponed one week
                [fsf60k] Re: Meeting postponed one week

Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 03:02:17 +0000 (GMT)
From: pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fsf60k] Meeting postponed one week

Greetings.
Due to the 4th of July falling on this Wednesday, several folks are
away/busy Thursday. Therefore we think it is best to move our regular
meeting for July back one week, until July 12th. We hope this is ok and best
for all, and we also hope to see a good many of you at Npt. HS, room H 109,
at 7:30 p.m. on July 12th.

We have many topics to discuss/decide. We are at/near our goal of $10000 for
the Nicaragua Housing Project, with large donations pledged from SF 60K and
some individual alumni ($1000 each from two alumni), and some other
donations pledged from our members. We also are planning our second
newsletter and beginning discussions about a possible adult Nicaragua trip
this fall.

Please come Thursday evening, July 12th.

Thanks.

Pete and Kate

------------------------------

From: michael cipoletti <ikecip@xxxxxx>
Subject: [fsf60k] Re: Meeting postponed one week
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 22:55:52 -0500

i will try to make the meeting on the 12th
mc
Michael Cipoletti
FriendsNE
ikecip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
857-205-0236 Boston
505-89245142 Claro
505-83910685 Movistar
ikecip Skype
www.friendsne.org

On Jul 3, 2012, at 10:02 PM, pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Due to the 4th of July falling on this Wednesday, several folks are
away/busy Thursday. Therefore we think it is best to move our regular
meeting for July back one week, until July 12th. We hope this is ok and best
for all, and we also hope to see a good many of you at Npt. HS, room H 109,
at 7:30 p.m. on July 12th.

> We have many topics to discuss/decide. We are at/near our goal of $10000
for the Nicaragua Housing Project, with large donations pledged from SF 60K
and some individual alumni ($1000 each from two alumni), and some other
donations pledged from our members. We also are planning our second
newsletter and beginning discussions about a possible adult Nicaragua trip
this fall.

> Please come Thursday evening, July 12th.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete and Kate

End of fsf60k Digest V7 #46