[fsf60k] Re: fsf60k Digest V3 #54

  • From: "Jessica Schmierer" <schmiere@xxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:17:44 -0400

I'm sorry but I'm no longer living in Northport can I be removed off the
email list.

I wish the club the best of luck and hopefully some day I will be back to
join in your wonderful efforts.

Thanks,

Jess Schmierer

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:35:06 -0400
From: "richard wiltamuth" <dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [fsf60k] housing project

dear friends,
am resending housing proposal below, since some of you may not have gotten
it as an attachment.
dick w.
BUY A HOUSE

FOR $1,500

Dear friends,
our group could use a major project to keep us energized and focused. Here's
something to discuss among ourselves: How about a campaign to build houses
on a large scale, say 100?

we have been looking for water projects, but the one in chacraseca doesn't
seem to need our help. Food needs are being dealt with through the
biointensive farming project in nuevo amanecer and the school breakfast
program in chacraseca. Educational needs are being addressed through
building schools and providing supplies.

that leaves housing as a basic need to be met. Students for 60,000 has built
dozens of homes in chac over the years, but perhaps hundreds of people are
still living in hovels. at the rate we're building them, adequate housing
for all could take many years.

How to pay for building houses on a grand scale? it's clear that friends
will not be making much money through fundraising events, which the students
do so well. but friends has other resources, such as from grants and larger
individual and corporate donors. the iovino foundation and rotary clubs are
oriented toward for water projects, but maybe housing could get their
attention also. Research would have to be done on other charitable groups
that might get behind housing on a large scale.
an ambitious goal of 100 could capture the imagination of donors. setting a
specific number makes it a challenge. As an incentive, each donor could be
put into contact with the recipient so they could correspond. photos of the
old and new home and of the family could be provided. if the donor desires,
a plaque with his or her name could be placed in the home. several
individuals or families could join to support building a home; a company
could pay for one or more. Donating a house would be an incentive for folks
to visit Nicaragua to meet the recipient family.

the personal element is important to a lot of donors. save the children  and
other campaigns link donor and recipient. there are plenty of photos of
lousy housing that would help publicize the problem.

There are questions to be answered. Should the families be charged a portion
of the cost? What if someone can't pay? If the cost of a house is $1,700,
including cement floors, for example, should the recipient pay $200 over a
period of time? One organization with a presence in chac operates this way.

Who gets the houses? Favoritism is always a concern. Although I have yet to
see someone get a house who did not appear to need one, we have to be
careful. Since we're in no position to select recipients, we would need
trustworthy Nicaraguans to advise us. Perhaps each of the 11 sectors could
nominate candidates for houses. A housing committee, say three people,
selected by us could review the nominations and advise. We should be
prepared to pay committee members for their time and travel costs. It is
always possible that a family that is not the neediest will get a house, but
we should not let this concern paralyze us.
how fast could homes be built? Reliable contractors and laborers are
available, but could they handle a larger volume of construction?

Would like to bounce these concerns off conchita and others who know the
local situation.

Am sending this suggestion now so that we can discuss at the next meeting,
scheduled for june 5.

See you then,

Dick wiltamuth

End of fsf60k Digest V3 #54