[fsf60k] Re: Lights! Camera! Director!

  • From: revspfeil <revspfeil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael Cipoletti" <IKECIP@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:06:19 -0500

Hi Mike,
I am fascinated by this email. I had no idea you were trying to get a container
out of customs. We too have a container that is being held up since early
December. How did you do it? What did you do to get clearance? Thanks, Susan.

From:   "michael cipoletti" <ikecip@xxxxxxx>
Subject:        [fsf60k] Re: Lights! Camera! Director!
Date:   March 11, 2011 5:50:33 PM EST
To:     fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey all-

Kate congratulations!

I have received word from the Nicaraguan Embassy in Washington and they are
working on getting me the stamp we need to get the container released.
Last week I shared a proposal with Dick and Peter to fence in the field of
dreams so it can begin to be used for little league games.
The proposal was submitted by the baseball commission of chacraseca and will
cost about 400 dollars. Peter had received a donation of 500 dollars last year
so perhaps this money could be used to fence in the land. The land will be
graded and all of the kids will participate in the cleaning a preparation of
the land. My hope is by taking pictures of kids playing on the "field of
dreams" we can get more financing. The Red Sox have Peters proposal and
additional data and photos in hand and my friend that works for the team
suggested taking the pictures of kids playing on the land.

I will head to Nuevo on Sunday to get two PICO solar light systems delivered
through Suni Solar. This is being paid through the Stonehill College group that
is arriving today. All Stonehill Students have signed waivers and those are in
the mail to Peter.

As for the library project Taylor is coordinating the project. 3 students are
coming down (one from simmons college one from stonehill and a friend of
taylor) to collaborate with the Nicaraguan team. I thought that Friends had
agreed to support the project and allow fundraising for the project and this is
what we hope to see happen. FriendsNE will also be working on the project so we
should discuss how we plan to fundraise/coordinate/execute/collaborate on the
project.

I have a number of other updates and I am planning on attending the meeting in
April.

Hope everyone is well.
MC

On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:41 PM, richard wiltamuth wrote:

> [...]
> codirector of Friends. Our group now has three, the minimal requirement
> under the bylaws. Kate has many years of experience with Friends and with
> the Nicaragua group at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, having organized
> trips and participated in fundraising. Of course, we can have more than
> three directors, so others are welcome to offer their services.
>
> In the interest of more uniform and organized handling of money, the group
> agreed to begin sending money to Nicaragua by check instead of cash, except
> in emergencies. By using banks on both ends of the transfers, a paper trail
> will be created to make accounting easier and more transparent in case of an
> audit. The expected creation of two chapters, both of which will handle
> their own transactions, should simplify Friends? accounting. Since there is
> a weeks-long lag in getting funds into and out of Nica banks, Friends will
> try to anticipate needs and get checks there well ahead of time.
>
> Mike Cipoletti is working to get a container of baseball equipment released
> by customs in Nicaragua. The gear was donated last year by the Northport
> Little League.
>
> A question arose about who is in charge of the Chacraseca library project
> since C.W. Post College apparently is no longer taking the lead due to
> personnel changes. If it is to become a Friends project, a request will
> need to be made so that the membership can vote on it. The current leaders,
> Mike and Taylor Robbins, will be consulted.
>
> The holiday postcard campaign has raised more than $4,000, with some of the
> donors requesting specific use for their contribution such as buying food or
> animals. Each donor will receive a thank-you acknowledgement, and those who
> gave more than $100 with a specific request are to receive a thank-you from
> Nicaragua stating that the donation has been put to the proper use.
>
> Reporting on their latest trip to Nicaragua, Students advisers Rusty Gomes
> and Lisa P. Flanagan said that the trip was a success. Rusty said that
> cisterns to catch rainwater may be built at each new house at a cost of
> about $250 each. Lisa described the committee that oversees the comedor school
> breakfast program as dysfunctional, saying members are not meeting regularly
> and have produced little in the way of hard data on who is getting fed and
> how much. It was suggested that the nonprofit Association San Isidro, which
> is doing a fine job of managing the home-construction program, might take
> title to the land being used to raise crops and animals, instead of title
> being held by individuals. George Pardo recommended that a professional
> manager be put in charge.
>
> Lastly, waiver forms were sent to Friends members in a group email. Only a
> few have been signed and mailed to Pete White. Please send them in to ease
> liability concerns.
>

> ***
> You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to

***