[fsf60k] Fwd: Welcoming immigrants

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "akillelea@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: FSF60K@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 00:40:47 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Goodhue <tomgoodhue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tomgoodhue <tomgoodhue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, May 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Subject: Welcoming immigrants

Here is some info on welcoming immigrants.

Tom Goodhue

Long Island Council of Churches

One of the ways that the LICC helps Long Islanders to welcome immigrants
and get along with them is through occasional workshops for various
professions on understanding the faith and culture of their new
neighbors. With our volunteers from the LI Multi-Faith Forum we’ve have
done many presentations for medial professionals, for example. Next week
we are offering a free workshop for financial professionals on
understanding Muslims as customers. Come if you are interested and pass
the word to anyone you know who might like to come.

Muslim Americans are in important emerging market for financial
institutions, often with considerable income and assets, but one with
distinct needs. Due to religious sensibilities, for example, Muslims may
prefer debit cards over credit cards, care about avoiding banking fees
more than earning interest on bank accounts, prefer investments but not
traditional mortgages, and help in purchasing a home that you may not be
accustomed to providing. We all have much to learn about how to work
with our neighbors!

Several years ago the LICC offered a workshop at the Islamic Center of
Long Island in Westbury for financial professionals on understanding
Muslims as customers that many folks found very helpful, with one bank
sending personal bankers all the way from Baltimore. Masjid Darul Quran,
the big mosque in Bay Shore is hosting a similar workshop on Friday, May
30 at 2:30 in their community center. Please come if you would find such
a program helpful and please pass the word to anyone else whom you think
might like to attend. If you would like to join me in observing mid-day
prayers at the mosque, please come at 1:00.

Here are my etiquette tips for visiting the mosque:

*How to dress:

Both men and women should dress modestly. Men can wear
suit/tie/jacket--business attire--but a dress shirt and slacks is fine,
too. Most women wear full length dress or pants or long sleeved blouses
and long skirts. Everyone should remove their shoes before entering the
sanctuary. You will see shelves for this just inside the front doors. It
is okay to wear shoes downstairs or in the building where we will have
our workshop at 2:30 (across the parking lot from the sanctuary). Women
usually wear a head scarf in the sanctuary, though this is a
culturally-related custom, not a religious obligation.

*Participation:

Male visitors usually sit in the back of this mosque to observe and
listen to the sermon, while women usually sit in the balcony upstairs.
Gender separation is common in most mosques--as it is in many synagogues
and some churches--but the exact form it takes varies from place to
place. Visitors are encouraged to pray silently but generally do not
join the prayer line unless they are able to recite the daily prayers in
Arabic. You may choose to sit on a chair and observe, if you wish.

In most mosques, people do not applaud speakers, though it is fine to
quietly murmur appreciation or assent.

*Physical contact:

Muslims often embrace acquaintances of the same gender but not the
opposite sex, though this, too, is rooted in culture rather than Islamic
law (Sharia). If a Muslim of the opposite gender extends a hand, shake
it; otherwise, hug only friends of your own gender.

*Don’t sweat this stuff.

Muslims are very hospitable. Far more than most Christians I know, they
are used to dealing with differences of race, nationality, language, and
cultural background. They are glad to have visitors, appreciate efforts
to understand their traditions, and cut us a lot of slack whenever we
commit a faux pas. I inadvertently violated several customs the first
time I visited—and they still welcomed me graciously!

Here is how to get there:

Masjid Darul Quran

1514 East 3rd Avenue

Bay Shore, NY 11706

631-665-9462

Take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 42 North (5th Avenue/County Road
13)

Go north on Fifth Avenue

Turn right at the second street, which is Farrington Avenue

Turn left at the second street, which is East Third Avenue. The mosque
is on the left.

The LICC's Annual Meeting on May 27 in Smithtown will focus on how
congregations must embrace diversity to survive and thrive. Come if you
can! Dr. A. Brian Leander will share the results of his ground-breaking
research on the ways embracing diversity and intercultural leadership
can help congregations/parishes to grow and thrive, but Dr. Leander's
work suggests that variety is indeed the spice of life--and esssential
for congregations to survive in the world today. Dr. Leander is
Assistant Director of the Center for Nonprofit Leadership at Adelphi
University, where he recently guided the LICC Board through its
first-ever strategic planning process. He also teaches leadership
development and intercultural leadership at Goshen College and
Evangelical Seminary. Come if you can!

LONG ISLAND COUNCIL OF CHURCHES

ANNUAL MEETING

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF SMITHTOWN

175 Main Street

Smithtown, NY 11787

AGENDA

Registration & Coffee 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM

BUSINESS MEETING 11:00 AM – 11:30 AM

PROGRAM 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM

“How Diversity Promotes Thriving Congregations”

SPEAKER: DR. A. BRIAN LEANDER, Assistant Director

Long Island Center for Nonprofit Leadership at Adelphi University

LUNCH & AWARDS 12:30 PM – 2 PM

Price: $40 per person.

For reservations, call Maria or Yolanda at 516-565-0290 between

9AM and 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.

DIRECTIONS

FROM THE WEST: Go East on the Northern Parkway past Sunken Meadow to the
end of the Parkway. The road divides about 2 miles past the end of
Parkway. At the divide, take Rt. 347 to the left; go to Highway #111.
Get into the right lane, turn right at sign for Rt. #111, then take the
immediate next left to traffic light at intersection of #347 & #111.
Continue North on #111 about 2 miles to Rt. 25 (Main Street). At the
intersection you will see the church-a stately white building ahead of
you. Turn left, take the first right into the church driveway.

FROM THE EAST: Take the LIE West to Exit 57. Go Northwest on Veteran’s
Highway (#454), then turn right onto Rt. #111 and continue North about
two miles to Route #25 (Main Street). At the intersection you will see
the church-a stately white building ahead of you. Turn left, take the
first right into the church driveway.

REGISTRATION FORM

Name _______________________________________ Number attending __________

Address ________________________________________________________________

City __________________________________ State_________ Zip
________________

Day-time telephone

E-mail address

Please complete and print out hard copy. Address check for $40 per
person to: Long Island Council of Churches. Please write “Annual
Meeting” in the memo section and mail to:

Long Island Council of Churches

1644 Denton Green

Hempstead, NY 11550

Attn: Yolanda Murray

To charge your reservation to your credit card, please call 516-565-0290

between 9AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

Previously Posted:

NEW PILOT PROGRAM TO ASSIST IMMIGRANTS BECOME U.S. CITIZENS

Secretary of State Cesar A. Perales and Citi Community Development HAVE
announced the launch of “Pathway to Citizenship LI,” a pilot program
that will help low-to-moderate income lawful permanent resident
immigrants in Long Island apply for U.S. Citizenship. The program
features access to a micro-loan and financial literacy training for
those who do not qualify for a fee waiver and are unable to pay the $680
cost of the naturalization application. The micro loan may also cover
the cost of evaluating foreign degrees and certifications for
high-skilled immigrants.

This unique public-private partnership is led by Citi Community
Development, the New York State Office for New Americans, the New York
State Department of Labor, Bethpage Federal Credit Union, the Central
American Refugee Center (CARECEN), and the United Way of Long Island.
The effort expands on the naturalization and Deferred Action for
Childhood Arrivals assistance offered by the New York State Office for
New Americans.

Citi Community Development is investing $145,000 into the Pathway to
Citizenship LI program to prepare lawful permanent resident immigrants
on Long Island to become naturalized U.S. citizens. Through the program,
community partner CARECEN will provide naturalization legal assistance
and civics education.

The federal government estimates that nearly one million lawful
permanent resident in New York State are eligible but have not yet
become U.S. citizens. According to the Migration Policy Institute,
naturalized citizens earn between 50-70 percent more than non-citizens,
have higher employment rates, and are less likely to live below the
poverty line.

Bethpage Federal Credit Union will provide bi-lingual financial literacy
training (English and Spanish) to program participants. Program
participants will be encouraged to enter the mainstream banking system;
create asset building accounts for future savings; create and maintain a
good credit history. Participants will be eligible to apply for consumer
credit and micro-loans for naturalization with Bethpage Federal Credit
Union. Loan interest rates will be set based on the individual’s credit
history and offered as an unsecured credit facility. United Way of Long
Island will assist in delivering the training and providing participant
one-on-one personal finance coaching.

Pathway to Citizenship LI also features assistance for high-skilled
immigrants through the process of re-credentialing a foreign degree or
certification that an immigrant may bring to this country. Not having a
recognized degree or certificate prevents these professionals from
successfully re-entering their prior career field in the U.S. Through
its Immigrant Workforce Counselor program, the New York State Department
of Labor will help navigate the re-credentialing process. Bethpage
Federal Credit Union will extend its consumer credit and micro-loans for
naturalization to also cover the costs of evaluating foreign degrees and
certifications for high-skilled immigrants. In addition, the Oyster
Bay-North Hempstead-Glen Cove Workforce Investment Board will use
federal funds to cover the re-credentialing costs for those individuals
who reside in the consortium area.

The New York State Office for New Americans and other community partners
will provide community outreach assistance and referrals to other
immigrant integration and employment services. For more information
about this program and to register, please visit the New York State
Office for New Americans website at www.newamericans.ny.gov or call
CARECEN at 516-489-8330.

RECRUITING CANDIDATES FROM THE FINANCIAL SERVICES INDUSTRY

Upwardly Global (UpGlo) works with skilled immigrants from a variety of
professional backgrounds. Right now we are looking for motivated
individuals specifically with a strong background in the financial
services industry to be connected to our employer partners that
currently have job opportunities in roles such Compliance Officer,
Credit Analysts, and Anti Money Laundering (AML) and more!

To work with Upwardly Global and our employer partners, you must meet
the following eligibility requirements:

•       Minimum of 2 years related experience outside of the U.S.*

•       Must have background in the financial services industry

•       Working knowledge of applicable banking system

•       Able to remain calm and perform under pressure

•       Strong analytical thinking, problem solving, and communications skills

•       Superior writing and verbal communication skills

•       Superior attention to details

•       Must have permanent work authorization (Permanent Resident/Green Card,
Refugee/Asylee status)

•       Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting

•       Recently moved to the U.S. (has not lived in the U.S. for more than 5
years)

•       Must participate and complete UpGlo’s Job Seeker Program and Training

Required technical skills vary based on the specific position. These
will be discussed after candidates are accepted into and complete
UpGlo’s May Career Summit program.

To be considered as a candidate, apply online now to secure a spot in
our May Career Summit hosted by Standard Chartered Bank. Spaces are
limited, apply today:
http://www.upwardlyglobal.org/job-seekers/us-job-seeker-tips/us-job-search-assistance.

For questions about our programs and services, please call 212-219-8828.

Upwardly Global, founded in 2000, is a national, award-winning nonprofit
organization with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Chicago.
Upwardly Global helps work-authorized, skilled immigrants rebuild their
professional careers in the U.S. by providing professional job-search
training and access to employers with global talent needs. To date, the
organization has coached more than 4,800 skilled immigrants and has
assisted over 1,900 professionals back into their career field. We also
partner with Fortune 1000 companies in various industries to help them
recruit and hire the best candidates. For more information about the
organization, please visit www.upwardlyglobal.org

GET TO KNOW YOUR NEW NEIGHBORS

At the Health & Welfare Council meeting on April 9 I learned that every
town in Suffolk County now has at least 20% more Asian Americans than it
did a decade ago. A recent Pew Report noted that more immigrants are
coming to the U.S. in 2010 from Asia than from Latin America, which
suggests that we may all need to get to know some new neighbors.

The LICC’s Dialogue Committee wants to encourage inter-denominational
and inter-religious visits to houses of worship, which is one way to
create communities that welcome immigrants. When Christians meet local
Sikhs, Bahais, and Jains, they are reminded that not all recent
immigrants are from Latin America. And Latinos often find they need a
little help in understanding Long Island’s astonishing religious
diversity.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, someone remarked once at a
meeting of the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum, a visit is worth a
thousand pictures. Would your church, synagogue, mosque, gurudwara,
temple or fellowship welcome interfaith visitors? If so, what are good
times to come and whom should we list as a contact for visits? Is there
anything you would like visitors to know about where they should sit,
what they should wear, and what you would prefer that they do or not do?
The Forum has done more than 275 educational programs, mostly in English
but also some in Spanish to help Latinas get to know people they are
likely to encounter on Long Island.

You might also consider hosting the Forum’s “Building Bridges” program
or its “What’s My Faith?” game show. Both are great ways to help your
congregation or community group to understand your immigrant neighbors.
For more information, please visit www.liccny.org. To request a
presentation, contact Narinder Kapoor at paljikapoor@xxxxxxxxx. Michael
Fairchild, who produced the half-hour “Faiths of Long Island” video for
the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum has loaded it onto YouTube. You can
see the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncnn5pd6Gu4 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsL0LaClgU

HELP WITH IMMIGRATION LAW

At the March 28 “Working but Still Poor” Conference at Touro Law Center
in Central Islip, Jobs with Justice distributed a helpful list of
resources for immigration law problems:

*Catholic Charities has an immigration assistance office at 143
Schleigel Blvd. in Amityville (off Albany Ave.). Their legal clinics are
Tuesdays from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. and Fridays from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m. The
charge for these is $30. Please call 631-789-5210 for further
information.

*Central American Refugee Center (CARECEN):

Hempstead 516-489-8330

Brentwood 631-273-8721

*Long Island Jobs with Justice has an Equal Justice & Education Project
that helps undocumented students: 631-348-1170, ext.
310/www.longislandjwj.org

*Make the Road NY: Brentwood office, 631-231-2220

*Empire Justice Center: Jacqueline Saavedra, immigration attorney,
631-650-2318

Pat Young from CARECEN mentioned that they can provide free help with
citizenship applications, for example, as does the Economic Opportunity
Commission of Nassau County. You can reach EOC by calling 516-292-9710
Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

INTERRELIGIOUS VISITS

A recent Pew Report noted that more immigrants came to the U.S. in 2010
[...]

presentation, contact Bernice Suplee at jbsuplee@xxxxxxx or (631)
665-7033. Michael Fairchild, who produced the half-hour “Faiths of Long
Island” video for the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum has loaded it onto
YouTube. You can see the video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncnn5pd6Gu4 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOsL0LaClgU

The Rev. Thomas W. Goodhue