[fsf60k] Fwd: Garden Volunteers needed 6/4

  • From: richard wiltamuth <dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:07:45 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM
Subject: Garden Volunteers needed 6/4
To: "fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi: Can you help us build a new children’s garden in Greenlawn for middle
school kids who will grow food to give away as their service project?

It’s been almost a year since the Long Island Community Agriculture Network
asked for volunteers to help build Gateway Park Community Garden in
Huntington Station. That job is still not done—delayed while the town
prepares to rebuild the retaining wall along New York Avenue and in the
process re-grade the open land on which we will build more raised beds and a
social gathering area. But Gateway is bringing joy to the gardeners and to
the community, thanks to the efforts of a lot of people like  you. Be sure
to visit!

But while that garden waits for the wall construction, we are in the midst
of re-building the Soergel Outreach Garden in Greenlawn. This garden, which
is a small piece of the Town’s Kubecka garden on Dunlop Road and is less
than half the size of Gateway, was begun years ago as a place for gardeners
to grow food to be given away. Huntington town asked LICAN to rebuild it
last year, but all our energy and Town efforts went into Gateway.

Now Soergel is taking shape, and we need your help to build raised beds for
the children’s garden this Saturday, starting at 9:30. We will be working
into the early afternoon.

We need people who know how to use a screw gun and a level and who can help
lift the bed frames into place. We will then need people to fill and dump
wheel barrows full of soil and compost into the new beds.

The children’s garden will be cultivated throughout the season this year by
9 Oldfield Middle School students—6th, 7th and 8th graders—who will give
away what they grow as a service project. They will, of course, become
gardeners in the process, equipped to grow healthy food for themselves,
their families and the community, and to do it organically. They have
already begun working on the garden, creating 2 large ground-level beds and
planting them.

If you can help, meet us at the garden Saturday morning after 9:30. The
garden is on Dunlop Road, less than 100 yards from the intersection with
Greenlawn Road. Enter the driveway, and proceed straight ahead. You will see
the garden on your right—right now it is an open field with some beds laid
out and a small shed.

Hope you can be there!
Frances Whittelsey
Executive Director, LICAN

P.S Check out our website at LICAN.org; and the LICAN Gateway Community
Gardens Facebook page.