[fsf60k] 10/5 meeting

  • From: "Wiltamuth, Dick" <Dick.Wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:42:09 -0500

dear friends,

some of you did not receive these minutes as an attachment last week, so
am resending. please note nov. 3 fund-raiser.

AGENDA FOR 10/5 FSF MEETING

(summary minutes in parentheses)

1.      501c3 application has been approved by the IRS, and on the first
try, no less. This means we can accept donations and apply for grants.
(need state tax form filled out to avoid paying sales tax on purchases.)
2.      Speaking of grants, need someone who can pursue them. Have
information from the Foundation Center. (no volunteers to explore
grants. Foundation center is a gold mine of information, and some
grantors for nicaragua projects already have been identified. Jason king
of washington, d.c., runs a nonprofit called turning the page and may be
of help.)
3.      Are looking into offers for insurance to cover meetings; we are
currently making a $50 donation per meeting to the church. (will ask
school district if insurance is required for our meetings. We have one
bid on meeting insurance and insurance for directors, but are seeking at
least one other bid.)
4.      Sister Joan's inspiring visit provided money for an orphanage
project. ($450 was raised for the project. Joan has been asked to be a
peacemaker among the warring factions in chacraseca.)
5.      Report from Local Area Committee. (linda quinn and marie baldwin
report much progress in finding projects. one is with the ecumenical lay
council food pantry. Everyone is encouraged to bring nonperishable food
to our monthly meetings, or checks made out to friends of students for
60000. School supplies and juices also needed. Supplies can be left at
marie baldwin's home, 180 ocean ave. also, shoppers are needed. The
other project is with haven house-bridges in huntington. Adults are
needed to tutor-coach students 3:30-5 each day.)
6.      Report from Nicaragua committee on planned trip Nov. 9-13. The
idea is to speak with experts and residents about areas of interest.
Apparently several local groups are working on providing water for Nuevo
Amanecer, so have need for coordination. Next Nica meeting will be at
7:30 Thursday, Oct. 19, at chez Wiltamuth, 119 Burt Ave. near Chestnut
Circle. All are welcome. (several groups, including students at high
school and east northport rotary, are working on this water project.
Agreed that these groups ought to meet before our nov. 9-13 nica trip to
form a plan to get questions answered. Fund-raiser for water will be
held at 7:30 nov. 3 at east northport christian church on vernon valley
road, $25 for dinner and concert. To reserve, call 368-8490. Up to seven
people will go on nica trip. Will speak to several organizations
including new haven-leon project, pro mujer, grupo fenix solar people,
puritec water outfit.)
7.      Other committee reports?
8.      If you have topics for the agenda, please e-mail to
wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>  or
pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
9.      New business. (reps from students say shanty fund-raiser is nov.
4, and need one adult to sleep over per 10 students. Volunteers
requested. And bruce howe has an idea for tech students to build
affordable homes on vacant land in the area.)
10.     Questions and answers.
11.     Next meeting will be Thursday, Nov. 2, at 7:30, location to be
determined.