[frgeek-michiana] Re: internet Janice

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:50:05 -0500

Setting up AT&T DSL under Linux (Draft)

Before staring this you need to have your Ethernet connection up to your DSL modem try typing "ping 192.168.1.254" w/o quotes at the command line (as root) If you need help with your Ethernet connection let us know.

Here is the "simple" <ha, ha> step by step directions that I think will work. <Got to love those Windows Only companies. I guess as long as it's between monopolies....>

1.    Start up Vector Linux
2.    Open your web browser
3.    Type http://192.168.1.254/ into the address bar
This should open a page with at&t and MOTOROLA on the top and Access Code Required after that 4. Enter your access code (from the underside of your modem) then press continue. 5. Enter sbcyahooreg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as your user ID and sbcyahooreg as your password then press Save changes at the bottom of the page. 6. Type https://sbcreg.sbcglobal.net/DSLRegWeb/ into your web browser address bar it should take you to the first page of the sign up site (terms of service) 7. When you get to the page with your Member ID and password confirmation print or write it down (very important)
8.   Type http://192.168.1.254/ into the web browser address bar
9. There are links on the left side of the page find the word "Login" among the links, then click the disconnect button.
10.  Click the word "Advanced" to make all the links visible.
11. Now click the words Connection Configuration and enter the Modem Access Code. 12. Enter the Member ID and password that was created earlier on the Connection Configuration page and press Save Changes. 13. After doing tis your AT&T Yahoo connection should be ready to use and you should be able to browse to anyplace on the Internet.

Now you need to complete the AT&T Yahoo HSI Email part of the registration.
You must complete this part to activate and use the email account(s).

1.   Go to http://www.sbc.yahoo.com in your web browser.
2 .   Login with your Member ID and password created earlier.
3.    Complete the "Marketing Preferences" to activate the email account.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Janice Tabb wrote:
Hey Guys,
I still need your help.

I went to the websites that were suggested and printed off the information.
When I connected the DSL modem all lights stabilized on green except the
internet light.  It flashed green then went to red(disconnect) then no light at
all.

I went into PPPoE-Setup anyway and entered the following information:

PPPoE user name: sbcyahooreg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (I didn't type http://)

Ethernet interface connected to the DSL Modem: I typed the Modem Access Code on
the underside of the modem.

Link to come up on demand: I entered 60 seconds

IP address of ISP primary DNS server:
1. I entered:sbcreg.sbcglobal.net (I didn't type http://)
Secondary address
2. I entered: helpme.att.net/register (I didn't type http://)

PPPoE password: I entered sbcyahooreg

Firewall choices: I entered #2

I thought this would help connect the internet it didn't and the modem light
would still flash green then go red then off altogether.

Is the light suppose to be green without this information?
Did I enter the correct information and was it the correct format?

Janice ** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **