[frgeek-michiana] Re: internet

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:34:49 -0500

Tom Brown wrote:
Janice:

Instead of corresponding directly with me, it is a good idea to post your tech help questions to the Free Geek volunteer list. You'll get better help that way. I haven't set up an AT&T connection for years. So I am going to add this message to the list to get the ball rolling.

  It's been over a year myself...

AT&T used to require their subscribers to open an account with Yahoo. I don't know whether that is still a requirement. If it is, you may need to connect a Windows XP box to your modem to get through the start up process. The reason? The AT&T/Yahoo software only runs on Windows and possibly Mac operating systems.

If AT&T doesn't require the Windows-only start up, you should be able to connect your FreeBox network interface directly to the DSL modem with the supplied cable and go. We configure FreeBoxes to automatically look for a network address from the device it is connected to. The process is called Dynamic Host Control Protocol or DHCP. If the DSL modem supports DHCP out of the box, you shouldn't have a problem.

To add to this, sometimes after you disconnect the Windows XP box and plug in the Free Box, you might have to restart the DSL modem and then the computer for the DSL modem to recognize it's connected to the correct computer.

We test DHCP on every FreeBox before releasing it. Therefore, if you can't get an Internet connection right away, the problem is with the AT&T start up requirements. I doubt AT&T will be of any help should you not get a connection unless you borrow a Windows XP computer to sign up the way AT&T wants. Their tech people are trained on Windows and possibly Mac OS only.

Forcing customers to use Windows and Yahoo is unnecessary and designed to hustle you into their contract lock-ins with Yahoo and Microsoft. There are simpler ways of getting customers subscribed to a DSL service. Usually the DSL modem is pre-configured to DHCP and the customer is assigned a permanent or temporary login name and password. The customer is responsible for installing the modem, making sure DHCP is configured on their computer and then goes to a web site to change the account login and password if they like.

Tom

Janice Tabb wrote:
Tom,
I'm sorry I missed you yesterday. I stopped by to pick-up an external Modem and Kevin helped me. I think I'm going with AT& T Basic DSL. They will send me a modem and Software; therefore, I return the modem I got from Kevin. What I'm concerned about is getting on the internet with the Linux box and loading the software for DSL. What do I need to do?

Janice

** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **
PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.