[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - 7/29/2008

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:01:09 -0400

Tom Brown wrote:

:: Hard Drive Data Security

We have a lot of old hard drives that can be recycled for the aluminum in them. The problem is securing the data on the drives from krackers.

A week or two ago, Kevin, Mike, Forrest and I discussed various methods of ensuring the drives cannot be used again. Forrest brought a drill, a box of self-tapping metal screws and a bit to the warehouse and demonstrated how we can use the screws ($5 per box of 100) to skewer the drive platters. Although inexpensive, the process of driving the screws through the drive cases takes a fast drill and physical strength. Forrest took sample drives to a drill press in the back of the shop and neatly and quickly drilled a half-inch hole through each. Clearly, the drill press is the best method available to us to secure the drives -- it takes virtually no strength and, if the drive is fastened to the drill press with a clamp, is safe and fast. Still, the drill press requires concentration to avoid serious injuries.

a pair of 2x4's clamped to the drill press. Set drive between 2x4's and drill. 2x4's will resist the twist motion and keep hands safe. Caution to make sure drive doesn't 'pop out' of the 2x4's. Maybe another clamp...

  See ya tonight!

  Goose