[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 07/10/2008

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:00:16 -0400

TUESDAY
======

:: Another One Bites the Concrete

A donor dropped off a P4, 1600 MHz, 256 MB, XP Home box Tuesday. Forest was using it on a cart in the warehouse to test monitors. Kevin "brushed" the cart with the fork lift and dislodged the P4 on to the concrete.

After that, it wouldn't boot. Oops.

Kevin no longer needs to feel embarrassed. Goose traced the issue backwards from the power supply, to the mobo, to the power switch, to the button on the front panel on which a piece of plastic loosened and misaligned the on/off button from the power switch. Goose reinstalled the hard drive and booted the box. We grant Kevin a Mulligan

:: Tubular Dudes

Mike, Dale, Kevin, and I sorted gaylords for untested and bad monitors. We emptied two gaylords and have three empty rack spaces. Forest will take the bad monitors to Men of Scars and the bare CRTs to the Solid Waste District.

The downside is we had to move boxes out of the warehouse and into the office. We had cleared the walls and were clearing under the table. The office looked great. Now it looks crowed again.

THURSDAY
=======

:: Return of the Hungarian Mafia

In spite of the fact Hungary had little organized crime until the Russians took over, Joe, Elena, Charles and friends have been affectionately dubbed the Hungarian Mafia. Joe, Elena and Charles have been absent for several weeks. It turns out Joe's car took a dive. He showed up to work tonight. Elena and Charles stopped by for awhile too, but I missed them.

I tallied Joe's time, and he has enough hours for 3 FreeBoxes. His goal is 5.

:: A Riveting Request

I sent the rivet-dev list a list of steps to install Rivet on a Slackware 12.1 box with Apache 2.2.8 and mentioned Goose had done the same on Debian. As a result, the most active developer at the apache-rivet project has decided to write a SLACKWARE.install based on my instructions and asked me to help edit the file. He also asked Goose and me to contribute a rivet.deb package for Debian Testing. The Rivet project leader mentioned that using Checkinstall to create the .deb probably would be fine for Testing but wouldn't be acceptable for official Debian.

####