[frgeek-michiana] Re: Vector Linux on LTSP server....

  • From: "Mike Cook" <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:04:46 -0500

You may not have to recompile the kernel, but it looks like you need to
create an initrd.img

from http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/index.php

8.2. Build your own kernel

There are two ways to configure a kernel for LTSP. The default method is to
use something called an 'Initial Ram Disk', or initrd for short. The initrd
image is a small filesystem that is appended to the kernel. The initrd
filesystem image is loaded into memory, and once the kernel is booted, it
will mount the ramdisk as its root filesystem. There are a couple of
advantages of using an initrd image. First, we can compile the network
drivers as modules and load the correct module during bootup. This allows a
single kernel which will support virtually all network cards. The other
advantage is that we can run the DHCP client as a "user-land" program rather
than in kernel-space. Running the client in user-land provides better
control over the options requested and received from the server. Also, it
makes the kernel slightly smaller. The other way to configure the kernel is
without the initrd. Building a kernel without an initrd requires that the
specific network card driver be statically linked into the kernel, and it
also requires that IP-Autoconfig and "Root filesystem on NFS" are set when
building the kernel. The advantage of not using an initrd is that the kernel
is slightly smaller, and it will boot slightly faster. once the workstation
is up and running, there is virtually no difference in how the workstation
functions.

The standard kernel for LTSP includes an Initial Ramdisk (initrd) that takes
care of detecting the network card, and making a user-space DHCP request. A
major goal for the image was to make it as small as possible. So, we chose
the uClinux libc replacement library, and busybox for the utilities that we
need during the boot.

If you want to build your own kernels, you should download the
ltsp_initrd_kit package. It contains the root filesystem hierarchy, and a
script for building the image.

Hope this helps,
Mike