[frgeek-michiana] Unexpected CUPS dependencies

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 21:27:27 -0500

CUPS (ghostscript) is dependent on X windows. That is just wrong!

Today, I retired my Slackware 8.1 hard drive and upgraded to Slack 12.x on a larger drive. I need features in the 2.6 kernel not available or not easily available in the 2.4 kernel. I intentionally did not install X, QT or K libraries and apps. The server is text interface only, Slackware 12.0 lean and raw. So who needs X?

When CUPS failed to print a test page on my venerable HP Laserjet, I checked the logs. Sure enough, gs (ghostscript) - which is embedded in CUPS - threw an error.

"...libXT.so.6: Cannot open shared object: No such file or directory."

LibXT is part of the X packages. Guess I'll install X on a text interface only server. Sheesh.

Also of interest, on straight up Slackware CUPS is configured out of the box to only allow printing via the console, no network printing at all. The admin must manually configure the server to listen to port 631 and to allow network access to the CUPS server.

Of further interest, I used dd to clone my old 8 GB Maxtor (remember when Maxtor made good drives) to a used 20 GB Quantum Fireball. I created a second data partition on the Fireball and adjusted the swap partition with gparted on a live RescueCD. The Fireball popped right up on the first boot.