[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu Security

  • From: chuq <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 11:36:37 -0400

I went to my daughters computer to run some updates which I had been
neglecting for quite sometime now, and low and behold I could not
remember MY user name, and I am the only one on the sudoers list, I did
not think that I would be able to easily change my password. Boy was I
WRONG, as a matter of fact, anyone that does a standard Ubuntu install
is quite easily able to have their system pwned by anyone that can
reboot their system.
Here is what to do to change the password and then I will tell what can
be done to fix that.
First off boot the system up and move the cursor down to recovery I
believe it was under the Kernel listing in grub.
Once there go to drop to root
since no password was ever set for root you now have root access to the
system. simply type passwd USERNAMEHERE and it will prompt you 2 times
for the new password.
exit out of there and start up the system and you are in..
To fix this SET A ROOT PASSWORD!!
Or better yet set a grub password so that way no one can make any
changes without the password.
I would recommend setting a root password on all volunteer boxes to our
usual root password on systems, and the user on the freeboxes will be in
the sudoers list and can do what they need but this way in case
something ever happens we can go in as root and possibly recover the
system.

Chuq