[frgeek-michiana] Re: TuxType for FreeBoxes

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:43:54 -0500

I downloaded tuxtype-slackware to my home directory and installed it using pkgtool, the Slackware package management tools which come standard in VL. Pkgtool said tuxtype2 installed, but a search of /var/log/packages didn't locate any such package.

I looked inside the tgz file for a hint about where the developers want to install the main binary, and that turned out to be /usr/local/bin. So I copied the tgz to /usr/local/tuxtype2 and installed it from there. That got me farther down the road. Tuxtype2 now shows up in /var/log/packages, and the binary is in /usr/local/bin. The main binary loads and some of the TuxType programs run including sound, but not all the programs run.

The binary starts and I get the main menu. When I choose any of the menu items except Practice and Options, the games fail. The command line shows the following errors which indicate an incomplete configuration and possibly something worse.

LoadSettings: Settings file does not exist! settings not loaded
Segmentation fault

The doc files indicate that the tgz may not be a Slackware package but source code for compiling on Slack. I'll try unpacking and compiling the tgz next.

Tom

Mike Cook wrote:
Sounds like a missing or incompatible library. Did you try tuxtype-slackware
(tuxtype2-1.5.3-i386-1.tgz)?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12715&package_id=84445

Mike

From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
At the last FreeBox class, a participant asked whether VL 5.9 has a typing tutor. Well, it doesn't. So I decided to get one.

The obvious choice is TuxType. There is no TuxType package at the VL 5.9 repository according to a search with the slapt-get package manager. The current stable source code is 1.7.0. I downloaded it and tried to compile it on Victor, my Vector Linux box. Configure doesn't throw errors, but make and checkinstall both throw a lot of warnings and crap out with the same error. Here is the make version of the primary error.

/home/tbrown/tuxtype_w_fonts-1.7.0/src/laser.c:320: undefined reference to `playsound'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [tuxtype] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tbrown/tuxtype_w_fonts-1.7.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tbrown/tuxtype_w_fonts-1.7.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

If anyone is willing to download the 1.7.0 source and have a go at correcting the error, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll report the problem to the TuxType developers and wait for them to reply.

TuxType source -- http://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=31080

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.