[frgeek-michiana] Re: Suggestions for mile-and-a-half

  • From: "Jay Schlatter" <jschlatter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:10:41 -0500

See Below.

Jay Schlatter
Manager Information Services
Goodwill Industries of Michiana, Inc
(574) 472-7383

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Brown [mailto:tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 2:41 PM
To: Jay Schlatter
Subject: Suggestions for mile-and-a-half

Suggestions for mile-and-a-half fair.

At lab Thu.:

+ Select FreeBoxes to sell and settle on price.
I had one PC and sold it two years ago. Based on the type of walk by
We will get, I would doubt if we would sell more than 2 to three
complete
Machines. Are we going to let the people who purchase a system come to a
One day Saturday class on how to use it?

+ Put together a more robust box to demo Debian running Gnome and KDE.

+ It would be nice to have sound, games and an Internet connection for a
good demo box.
Internet connection possible, though it would only be dial-up, I'll make
sure to
Have a nice long phone cable.

+ Select parts that would sell at a street fair. Just make sure you
+ don't wipe out useful inventory for refurbing.

+ Haul stuff to your house Thu. night -- so you'll need a van or truck.
I'll bring my Astro.
The biggest vehicle I have for Hauling is the VW, so if there is going
Be more than that I hope someone can make a trip to my house Thursday
night
To deliver the equipment.

Before lab:

+ Talk to John about brochure design.
Waiting to see basic brochure so I can give suggestions as to what we
might
Want to change. Front page should explain who we are, inside what we do,
and
Back side should be how to contact us / how to give donations.

+ Perhaps you can print brochures on the laser printer at the Sallie
+ lab,or you can print them at GW.
If I get them soon enough  (say, by Thursday noon in pdf or eps format)I
could print them here.
Question is how many?

+ Schedule volunteers to cover table from 7:30 am to 2:00 pm. Then help
clean up.
If I can get one person to commit to all day, then others can fill in
As they would like. I will be feeding who ever is there Brats, chips,
and
Soda's towards noon. I don't know if it is an issue, but I do request
that no one smoke
On premises of the house. (Need to keep the wife happy) More than likely
Will be busy helping my wife and will only be able to man the table for
short
Periods of time scattered throughout the day. More than likely we can
eat around
Noon, and then cleanup after lunch so we can be done by 2pm. Everyone is
welcome to stick
Around afterward incase we have ideas we need to talk about or write
down for next time.
I see this more of as a break-in opportunity to learn what we need to do
before we head
To a real computer show. This will also give us an idea of what will
sell.

// wage slave

I think that's it for now.

Juice