[frgeek-michiana] Re: Server for Lab

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:01:28 -0500

Tom Brown wrote:

:: Lab space
Goose, please comment on analysis below. Give us the actual measurements if you have them.

I never actually wrote them down but if memory is serving correctly (highly questionable today :( ) the new lab is 18 long X 15 wide . Usable space WITH the shelving is 15 x 13.

Goose measured the new lab room. He estimates we can only get three 6' tables in the room as it is now. We can get additional seats if we tear out the shelving, but I don't remember how many Goose thought we might add. I doubt it is wide enough for another three rows of 6' tables.
(3) 6' tables at 2' per seat = (3 x 6) / 2 = 18 /2 = 9 seats total
(3) 6' tables at 3' per seat = (3 x 6) / 3 = 18 /3 = 6 seats total

Using the door and splitting the room in half, you can get 3 rows of 6' tables facing forward (towards the power panel) with about 5 1/2 spacing between rows (including tables width). That doesn't sound a lot of I did some measuring while the class was going on and if we tuck the cabling up under the tables and keep thing neat, this will work. <idea> We could gain some extra space if we buy flat panel monitors and eliminate the depth of the CRT's. </idea> The idea part wouldn't gain any extra room but make it easier on humans to get in / out of the rows.

With the 6' tables, they but up right in line with the left door frame.

On the right side of the room a 6' table protrudes about one foot into the door
frame area. Thus leaving about a 2' row max.

If you tear out the shelves, then we gain two feet and can fit a 6' table easily or even a 7' table.

Bottom line, 6 people down the left side on 6' tables (2 to a table) and maybe 9 down the right side removing the shelving and using 7' tables (3 per table).
This gives us 15 people max but requires the most work as new shelves need to be built in the old lab and the existing ones torn down.

This arrangement allow for everyone to face forward to see the white board projector, etc.

I did entertain the idea of lining up the tables length wise down the room. Not a desirable but doable layout. 6 down the left wall, 6 on a middle row, leaving room to access the shelving. Everyone has to turn to see anything forward but gives the instructor a good vantage point. Max 12 people if my measuring was right.

The new lab will be the new *demonstration* lab. If our total expenditures for the lab exceed several thousand dollars, I doubt non-profit organizations will find it attractive to install neighborhood labs (FreeLabs) or move to a client-server architecture for their office needs (FreeLans). If the cost scares off non-profits, what do we gain in the long run?

We could run the lab on a single 3g 3g memory machine. I'd imagine though that vmware on 12 puters will literally kill the server though. But you have a valid point. Our NPO mission is to make things affordable.

I'm very comfortable with suggesting a 3g cpu 2g memory server for a 6-10 person office. (10 people x 128mb a piece + server memory = 2 gbyte ram) The two important things in a server, FSB and memory.

I'd still say a 2 disk mirror array for the sake of disk performance. That setup has done wonders for Phoenix at the house even on an old P200.

Do we REALLY need Vmware when we already have dual boot capable machines for Windows and boot-floppies for LTSP?

Let's think about whether we over-building the lab:
1. from a practical viewpoint -- is it too much server
    for a 12-18 seat lab?
2. from a PR viewpoint -- will it encourage nonprofits
    to adopt GNU/Linux?
Tom

1. Probably....

2. Hardware wise is a even issue, you spend the money either way. Look at software costs. There is where the argument can be won.

Richard

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru
K&B Transport, Inc. - Elkhart, IN
(574) 389-1986   (574) 389-8527 Fax
(800) 548-2718   (574) 850-5764 Cell
begin:vcard
fn:Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
n:Zimmerman;Richard
org:K&B Transport Inc
adr:;;57510 CR 3 South;Elkhart;IN;46528-9795;USA
email;internet:richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Safety Assistant / IT Guru
tel;work:(574) 389-1986
tel;fax:(574) 389-8527