[frgeek-michiana] OpenACS installed on Slack box

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:37:43 -0500

Damn...the installation was way harder than it should have been. The
instructions left out one or two important notes.

One missing piece of critical info is that the latest stable OpenACS core
package is not compatible with the latest stable Postresql code. Oops. That
had me going in circles for awhile. Another missing piece is that you need
to compile the Postgresql driver separately from either Postgres, Aolserver
or OpenACS core. A third is that the development team renamed the Oracle
and Postgres drivers but didn't update a critical TCL system config file
with the new names, frustrating failure and more running in circles.

On the good side the community did respond to my requests for help. I
couldn't have gotten the system up without them. Even so I had to do more
troubleshooting on my own than I expected for a system which has been in
use and development since 1999. Solution: Documentation. Documentation.
Documentation.

When you fire up OpenACS, the result is a rather dull looking template
index page with a powerful web application development and content
managment system lurking behind it. OpenACS was written by computer
scientists. This isn't your Daddy's Oldmobile. I hope I figure out how to
steer the damn thing.

Tom
tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>