[frgeek-michiana] MLK Update

  • From: Gnu Improved Media <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:29:10 -0500

Martin Luther King Center Lab
Free Geek Michiana
NWILUG Update
-----------------------------

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% New Director at the Martin Luther King Center %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

When I arrived at the Lab this Tuesday morning, to my surprise I found it
locked. Contacted Arthur at home and he called Rev. Sworn, to come open the lab
up.  It wasn't until I talked to Dave Fennel later in the day, that I found out
Arthur had resigned and that there was a new director for the center. His name
is Joesph Frye, he is a nice guy, seems very interested in helping the lab
become successful.  He showed up around 4PM while I was talking with Beverly,
one of the adopters of our experimental FREE BOX's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ Adopt a FREE BOX ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlier in the day Richard stopped by the other "Guinea pig" who has taken a
Linux box home with him. Both users are frustrated with their computers, but
only because of a lack of experience with using computers in general. I believe
they would be equally as frustrated if they had chosen to take a Win 98 box.  I
found some teaching guidelines on the freegeeks.org web and will apply them to
our situation.   Talking to Beverly, she told me how she wanted to create
tables and print them out, and I could not find a way to do that in Abiword, I
did not put openoffice on her box so we discussed switching box's with one that
would run open office. Grabbed another box, and have a 2.5 gb harddrive to
create another FREE BOX for her.

**********************
*** The Lab Itself ***
**********************

Jake stopped by and also met Joe, the new director.  Joe said he would be at
the center in the evenings which makes it more convenient for Jake to stop by
to work on the lab.

Jake and I talked to Joe for awhile about Linux, and future plans for the
computer lab.

Jake is going to work on creating a guest user account that snaps back to a
default desktop when the user logs out (by erasing files or maybe recreating
the user account?).  Has anyone worked on this before or know of a script that
does this already?  Seems like I have heard about it before.

Also some customization of the guest desktop needs to be done, I started
downloading the FREE GEEK user manual, which they set up as the default page
when you open Galeon.  Was thinking of doing the same.

That's all this week, next Wednesday presenting a demo on LTSP for NWILUG,
going to setup about 3 or 4 clients at my local library from 6 to 8pm.  I am
planning on printing up some info on FREE GEEK, and also going to burn a stack
of Knoppix discs to give out.

Geek out,
John

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>