[frgeek-michiana] Re: Laptops to distribute

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:27:09 -0500

Goose --

The Gateway is a Solo 9550, S/N: BDF11410008.

The battery appears to have charged. However, the computer has difficulty booting and running on the battery. The machine suddenly reboots, more often during the boot process than at the desktop but at the desktop too. The reboot problem disappears when the external power supply is plugged in.

This may be a BIOS problem which an update could resolve. Or, it might be unrelated to the BIOS. I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

Tom

Tom Brown wrote:
I have two laptops to distribute to volunteers.

The first is a 233 MHz CTX with either 32 MB of RAM. It is running Vector Linux 3.2 and has the original manufacturer restore discs and a carrying case. It is free to a good home. It has battery/charger problems. The battery will not charge (?) or hold a charge (?).

The second laptop, a Gateway with 1133 MHz cpu and 256 MB, is a better computer but also has charger problems. It is the laptop with the broken hinge we fixed with Goose's wonder glue. The system has manufacturer restore discs and runs Slackware 10.1. Foolishly, I replaced the battery to see if the problems were battery related or not. Apparently they are not. The battery is brand new. It was not charged when I booted the system today and doesn't appear to be charging now. I would like my money back for the battery, $99.00. Otherwise, I'll keep the computer a while longer.

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.