[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes - 6/ 5/2007

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:39:30 -0500

:: New Recycling Offer

A recycling aggregator submitted a proposal to John. The vendor rep laid out clear transportation and monitor costs which allow us to predict our costs.

- transport: $10 per skid
- bad monitors: $9 each
- good monitors: no charge

On the revenue side, the rep won't give us advance prices the company will likely pay for circuit boards, sorted metal and plastic, etc. The vendor will give us prices only after receiving and inspecting our material.

Illustrations per gaylord/skid:

- 20 bad monitors would cost $190: $180 + $10.
- 20 good monitors would cost $10.
- Skid of mixed plastic is $10 to ship and likely no revenue.
- Gaylord of circuit boards would cost $10 to ship. We would get something in return after inspection.

This offer is not great because we don't know what to expect on the revenue side. Otoh, we know the vendor will accept all of our materials. We can clear out the warehouse and keep material flowing through it instead of accumulating. The transport costs are reasonable in comparison to commercial shipping to Chicago.

Is this offer acceptable overall?

No one proposed that we accept or reject the offer so we didn't take a vote.

Think about the offer. If you have any questions or opinions, please post them to the list. We'll decide in the few weeks whether to accept the offer.

:: More Modem Drivers for Puppy

After a year of despairing that we are unable to meet our mission in full, our newly chosen low-resource distro appears to have saved our bacon.

Mike announced that Puppy now recognizes and installs the correct driver for the Acer USB modem we have at the lab, which is based on a popular Lucent chip. The modem works on Puppy on his dial-up line at home.

Puppy Linux now supports two relatively inexpensive modems and will support more in the near future. Mike mentioned a few more modems Puppy will support shortly. I didn't note them. Maybe Mike will post them to the list.

Mike speculated that we can use the PL scripts and drivers in VL with little modification. For the most part, he was able to follow the detection and identification shell script in the latest PL version. There are some confusing sections due to numerous branching statements.

:: Warehouse Restroom Announcement

Some folks, possibly in our merry band of Geeks, put paper towels on the stool lids in the restroom at the warehouse. Then they toss the paper towels on the floor when done. Or worse, in the stools. Mario, the maintenance guy at RBHS, has installed buckets in the stalls for people to dispose of the paper towels neatly.

Please use them.

:: PXE Net Boot Puppy Linux

Mike and I researched net booting Puppy during the week. They agree we don't have the right combination of binaries on the Vector Linux "Puppy server" to net boot.

Any scheme requires DHCPD. So, as Mike continued to research the available documentation, I attempted to download and install dhcpd on the Vector Linux "server." The VL official repository and mirrors don't contain dhcpd, only the client program. So Tom looked at Slackware mirrors. Many, if not most, of the mirrors are based on ftp which is blocked by the church's router. HTTP versions of the same mirrors also failed. So Goose created a public folder on the lab server and downloaded the dhcpd package. Tom transferred it to the VL server using scp.

The lab is a little closer to net booting Puppy. At least, we have some of the required binaries in place. We ran out of time before we could locate, download and install the other binaries.

:: Vector Linux/LTSP Server at Warehouse

Goose plans to install the VL 5.8 server Thursday. Since Dale and I won't be at the lab, Goose can work relatively undistracted. If Kevin attends the session, he may be interested looking over Goose's shoulder.

Goose will backup group and individual password files, home directories and some config files to a USB thumb drive. Then he'll migrate the files to the new server.

The new VL-LTSP server has hardware RAID. And, it is smaller, faster and quieter than the old server.

:: Bootable Ghost Image of VL 5.8

Jay was unable to ghost the hard drive I dropped off at his office. It returned kernel panics and wouldn't boot.

So I selected a PC and a 10 GB drive to do a new VL install. Rick attached the PC to the KVM. Every VL CD in my kit failed to install! Is it the CDs? Is it the drive?

I took the CDs, drive and PC home to experiment. Two of the three CDs work fine at home on the same PC and hard drive. I'll drop off the new drive at Jay's office Thursday.

####