[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes, 2/7/2006

  • From: "Mike Cook" <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:52:37 -0500

<snip>
4. Floppy and CD automount - FD/CD automount works. User "guest" can
read cds and floppies. However, guest cannot write to floppies
without a "su" to root. Mike tried to overcome this limitation, but
couldn't find a hack which worked consistently.
<snip>

I found some excellent docs on automount and autofs. I think I see what we
need to do, but, I'll have to wait until I lay hands on a VL 4.3 box.

I've got no problem helping on the OS committee I am relatively distro
agnostic.

Redhat is best supported by LTSP, Probably CentOS (RH Enterprise clone),
Fedora and Mandrake would also work well.

Debian probably requires a little more work, but has a more robust package
management scheme and is generally more stable.  Even I have a hard time
breaking Debian.

Slack is always rock solid but I suspect would be the least supported by
LTSP due to Slack's bsd style init scripts

SuSe is SuSe. It may well work great with LTSP but in my experience SuSe
tends to be just different enough to gum up the works with non-SuSe
packages.

Licensing will be a problem with MS Terminal Server, I think it is per seat.

My choice at the moment would be to use a RH based distro just because LTSP
supports it best.  Debian would be a strong second.  In any case I would use
a distro that at least two of us are capable of administering.  We can
always experiment later after we bring the server to life ;-) Baw ha ha ha.

Mike

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>