[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes, 2/14/06

  • From: "Mike Cook" <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:38:04 -0500

I set up a Vec 4.3 box and here is the fstab line that I came up with:

/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy    subfs fs=vfat:ext2,rw,gid=floppy,umask=000    0 0

umask gives rwx access to everyone.  We should probably change the umask to
give read only access to everybody and give full access only to the owner
(root) and the floppy group, I think it would be umask=003.  The gid and
umask only apply to fat or vfat filesystems, ext2/3 actually use the file
permissions they already have.  We would also have to add guest to the
floppy group.  I tested this through several reboots and as root and guest
and was able to read and write to a floppy with each from both the gui
(abiword, nedit) and the command line (touch, rm, cat).  In all cases
automounting worked flawlessly.

Mike