[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 1/4/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:44:35 -0500

LAB NOTES, 1/4/05

:: Goals

We set a goal of producing 8 FreeBoxes and installing VL on 8 hard drives. We hit the 8 FBox mark, and came up 2-3 short on the hard drive goal.

Al was the only VL installer. If there were two, we would have exceeded the goal. Al had two Blasters set up and tried to keep them running continuously. Hardware problems slowed him down.

Hardware problems also slowed the X-Men, but we had enough hands and minds (John Mansfield , Mike Cook, Chris Wharton, Ed Bosa and myself) to overcome the obstacles. The hardware slowdowns highlighted the need to pre-test the hardware before setting up X-Windows. With pre-tested components each X-Man can turn out a FBox every 30 minutes. At that rate 2 X-Men should be able to produce 8 FBoxes at each lab.

:: Cold Storage at SBW

John brought two gaylords to the lab. They were attached to skids so we couldn't get them into the church. Upon inspection everyone agreed 8-12 monitors will fit in a gaylord. We settled on approximately 16-24 cpus per gaylord depending on the size of the box.

John, Al and I will check out the cold storage space South Bend Warehousing has reserved for us. The inspection is next Tuesday, late afternoon. If the storage space is adequate for our needs, the next step is to set up gaylords/skids and move a good deal of the inventory to SBW. John says his employer, General Sheet Metal, will assist us in making the move. GSM will loan us a truck, give us skids and gaylords to load with gear and will pay for the fork lift rental to unload the skids!

:: FBox Classes

There wasn't time to call people on the waiting list. So, even though we have 8 FBoxes ready, classes won't start until Jan. 15. I hope to make calls this weekend and next Tue. at lab if necessary. Once the classes start, I'll need to pass the lab supervisory role to another volunteer. Perhaps we'll decide who steps into the role next Tue.

:: Netvista Thin Clients

Rick and I will move the Netvistas out of the Caleb Group back room and into the Sally tomorrow (Thu.) morning. We will set aside a number of the thin clients to use in our lab. We have a potential buyer in Ohio, the same person who bought several dozen last year. I'll contact him with an offer. Whatever the Ohio buyer doesn't want, Rick will sell for us on Ebay.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>