[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 1/11/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:05:18 -0500

LAB NOTES, 1/11/05

:: The Blasters

Al, Terry and Ed loaded VL on hard drives. They exceeded the goal of 8 drives, and we now have over 40 hard drives ready to install in FreeBoxes. Assigning at least 2 volunteers to install VL on drives definitely works best. Ed needed more training on installing VL. At the end of the night he had set up 2 drives on his own without any help. The "Blasters" easch loaded a drive install on PCs at home. They want to familiarize themselves with VL.

Rick googled for "ghost"-like utilities for GNU/Linux and found one he that interested him. The utility does sector copies. It will copy to a larger drive but not a smaller one and will not resize automatically. I believe Rick said the utility was called G4LINUX or GH4LINUX. There is also PARTIMAGE which comes on Knoppix live CDs.

http://www.partimage.org/

:: The X-Men

Rick finished one FreeBox (FB). John ran into hardware troubles on two machines in a row and was able to complete one setup. Terry did one setup. So the X-Men total was 3 FBs. We didn't have enough volunteers to dedicate two full time to X-Windows setups. Karen and I cleaned the exteriors of FB systems from last week and the new ones from last night.

:: Storage

John, Al and I toured the storage space South Bend Warehousing and Distributing is offering us. About half is cold storage, and the other half is sort-of heated. There is good physical access to the space and a rentable fork lift: there is a ground level overhead door for passenger vans and a dock level door for trailers and straight vans. We can drive passenger vans and pickup trucks to within a few feet of our space and off-load manually. Lager trucks will need to use the loading dock and the fork lift.

SBWD allows light manufacturing so we can use the space to demanufacture or refurb equipment. Lighting is not good, but electrical outlets are fairly handy. Electricity is included in the leases. We'll need to buy work lights on stands. They are cheap, $15-$20 per double light unit.

The only deal killer is security access. The facility is open M-F only and 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM only. However, Al said that Dana Corp. ran two shifts in the SBWD facility. John will talk to the manager about late afternoon and evening access and weekend access.

:: Classes Start Jan. 22

Terry is scheduled to work this Saturday, the 15th, so I decided to postpone the first class of the new year until January 22. Postponing will give us an extra week to prepare FBs and recruit students, and I will have Terry to assist me. Terry is eager to teach classes. I think he will be ready to instruct on his own by the end of February if not before. Al expressed an interest in observing classes. But he works almost every Saturday and earns overtime pay.

Terry and I plan to recruit assistants from among current volunteers and FB class grads. Terry assisted me at the last few classes. He was a big help. I'll assist Terry for the first few of the classes he instructs. Then he and I will find assistants which will enable us to trade off weekends or double classes on Saturdays, one in the morning and a second in the afternoon. The latter option is possible only if we can build 16 FBs per week -- at the moment that isn't going to happen.

We'll run classes continuously on Saturdays until we run out of computers.

:: FGM Web Site

I'll make a special effort this week to set up Dynamic DNS (DDNS) for our domain name. Then we can place our web site and email servers on Phoenix at Goose's house. The deadline to move the web/email is mid-January. So there are only a few days left. Once I find out how to punch the necessary holes in the Sally's firewall, we can migrate the web site and email service to the Sally. Goose and I have one of the Turbines waiting to do the web site and email chores. The Turbine needs more work but can basically operate now. And we are close to finished with converting the web site to Rivet code. All that remains are the FB graduate files.

####

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>