[frgeek-michiana] Re: Installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:07:40 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

comments inline

Mike

-----Original Message-----

Wireless seems to always be the fly in the ointment. I think the technology
moves faster than the ability of the community to develop drivers and so few
manufacturers are cooperative.

>3. Network printing
>
>The desktop effectively hides what is happening in the background so I
>assume CUPS handles network printing. Our multi-function printer (MFP)
>has a network interface built in, and our laserjet does not. CUPS found
>the MFP on its own and installed drivers (I haven't tested them yet).
>After I indicated which host the laserjet is connected to and which
>driver to install, CUPS successfully configured the laser printer.

I was amazed it not only found my HP MFP on USB. it even set up scanning and
can see memory sticks when I plug them in. About the only thing it didn't set
up was the fax, but I don't think any fax software is in the default software
anyway. I haven't tried it over the network connection

>4. Window controls
>
>Whenever I attempt to use a window control, I first mouse to the right,
>see there are no controls, then mouse to the left to correct. Seems an
>arbitrary decision to have moved the controls.

I changed my theme to Clearlooks and the buttons are now in the correct and
morally right position (dirty godless commies, I'll teach you to move my
controls)

>5. Video/Sound
>
>Ubuntu chose 800x600 instead of 1024x768. The desktop gui utility fails
>to reconfigure X windows at 1024x768 so it can only be done manually. I
>think Mike pointed this out earlier.

It seems to depend on the graphics chip. Some work great, others end up using
vesa. So far on the systems I've installed installing the proprietary video
drivers seems to fix it.

>I downloaded an AVI format video and tried to play it with the default
>movie player. Ubuntu automatically asked me if I wanted to install
>restricted files. I said 'yes', and the package manager downloaded and
>installed the minimum files to play the video. The libraries also support
>mpg/mpeg videos.

I like the way it automatically downloads the correct driver. Very convenient.