[frgeek-michiana] Fwd: Networking Xp and Mandrake

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:15:33 -0500

My nephew, Todd, asks a question about networking XP and Mandrake. Some of you have much more experience with XP and Mandrake than me. If you can suggest some troubleshooting steps, I would appreciate it.

Tom

From: Todd Preston <presto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Networking Xp and Mandrake
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:41:29 -0500

I have a question I thought you might be able to help me with.

I have a Windows XP box(server) with an internet connection via a modem and an
installed network card. I have a linux box(client) with Mandrake 10.1 which
also has a network card. I have a crossover cable connecting the two boxes.
I set up the XP box for networking using the "set up home network" wizard
which allows client boxes to share the internet connection.. I then set up
my linux box as a client. I am able to connect to the internet on my linux
box and also am able to access any folders on my XP box that I have set up
for network sharing.

Here's my problem. When I boot up the XP box and then my liux box, the XP box
will connect to the internet automatically. If I go to my XP box and
disconnect the internet connection, after a couple of minutes, it wioll
connect again. If I disconnect the crossover cable so that the two boxes are
not communicating, the XP box won't connect automatically. My point is that
when the boxes are connected, my internet connection always wants to be on.
I can't get my linux box to communicate with my XP box without it conecting
to the internet.

Any ideas?  Or can you direct me to a message board where I can post the
issue?
--
Todd