[frgeek-michiana] Re: Fw: Recycling cooperative

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Crooks <vscavenger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:46:36 -0500

> re: picking up stuff.  I don't know.  It will depend on the vehicle, the
> weather, gas prices, the market, staff availability, the price of tea in
> China, etc.

We'll work something out with a local recycler until VS is able to pickup. FGM
wants our recylcing operation to be a revenue source, profitable if possible.
Since we don't have any money at this point and making money recycling seems
remote, the goal is to dispose of scrap in the most responsible way and not
accumulate a pile of junk which then becomes somebody's liablility.

> Let me know about the training thing.  I have a whole crew of techs here who
> ready and eager adore and worship your knowledge.

Good thing they worship and adore our knowledge and not us. ;^)

Presently the only training we can realistically offer is basic GNU/Linux
training in Linux workstation. The best thing we could do to start is to show
your techs how to install Debian Linux or Vector Linux on low resource boxes.
Then they will have Linux tools to play with. Once your techs are a little
familiar with GNU/Linux, the next step would be to set up a Linux Terminal
Server Project (LTSP) lab. These two projects would give your techs the
infrastructure necessary to learn everything else. It would be a good idea for
VS to start or sponsor a Linux Users Group (LUG) at your facility. Until Indy
has an active LUG, your techs might want to join MLUG or KLUG email lists.

I'll talk to our crew about holding a workshop for VS techs. If your folks are
willing to drive to South Bend, we can do it sooner than later. A one-day
seminar should be plenty to learn how to install Linux and operate from the
gui
interface. There might be time to do some command line work too.

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>