[frgeek-michiana] FreeBox class, Sat., Aug. 2

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:31:07 -0500

Sorry. I forgot to send a report on the class last Saturday.

New FreeBox owners are:
- Gail W.
- Sheryl P.
- Dana G.
- Lupe G.

Jodi M. signed up 8 people. Four showed. Four got computers. The recipients are eager to buy modems for their boxes and volunteer to earn credits. Gail volunteered to make calls to agencies in South Bend and tell them about FGM. Sheryl gave the name of a relative who might volunteer at FGM for the fun of it.

Gail is African American, middle aged, under-employed, college graduate. Sheryl is middle aged, Euro American, unemployed. Dana is mid-twenties, Hispanic, under-employed, graduated college, applying for aid for Masters degree. Lupe is 10 years old and a half-sister to Dana and Hispanic. Dana and Lupe were born in the U.S. and are bi-lingual. Lupe is the only fluent English speaking member of her family.

I talked about Free Software, the GPL and FGM. Each student logged in a lab workstation, and I gave them a tour of GNU/Linux desktops and applications. And I talked briefly about LTSP. Then I explained what FreeBoxes are and why they are limited in function. Everybody understood. They asked good questions throughout. I gave them the training. Three passed the test immediately at the end of the training. One had to take the test twice.

What they'd like in a FreeBox:
1. modem
2. games
3. printer

Each of them expressed an interest in classes at the Sallie in exchange for volunteer time.