[frgeek-michiana] Free Geek Principles

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:39:08 -0500

At the Board meeting last night, the Directors discussed distributing proprietary software (Microsoft Windows) on FreeBoxes instead of or in addition to FOSS.

All affiliates and franchises agree to adhere to the Free Geek Principles (below). So I think it is highly unlikely Free Geek in Portland would allow FGM to continue to use the Free Geek trademark or continue as an affiliate of Free Geek if we put Windows or any other proprietary operating system or applications on computer systems we distribute to the public or other non-profit entities.

I am drafting a letter to Free Geek asking for clarification of Principle #3 below which says FGM *must* use and promote FOSS wherever possible. I think the principle is straight forward and needs no clarification, but I could be wrong.

Tom

FREE GEEK PRINCIPLES

An organization that would be affiliated with Free Geek must:

1. Have a mission that is similar to and does not contradict the Free Geek Mission Statement.

2. Dispose of equipment in an ethical and environmentally responsible manner.

3. Use Free/Open Source Software wherever possible and must promote the Free Software philosophy in other ways, such as transparent collaboration with others.

4. Provide low- and no-cost computer technology and training to their community.

An organization that would use the Free Geek name must additionally:

5. Be democratically run in a non-hierarchical way that is open and transparent to all participants in its programs.

6. Be a non-profit business (as legally defined in their location) and must follow honest business practices and have the stated goal of advancing the common good.