[frgeek-michiana] Re: Free Geek Michiana, Inc.

  • From: John Billings <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:09:56 -0500

Congratulations!

Just wanted to let you guys know I haven't dropped off the face of the
earth.  Have been busy getting oriented with T4T.

They are using a MySQL database, using OpenOffice to connect to it via
unixodbc, so I am busy learning that.  Also working on some Outcome
Measurment stuff which I am really enjoying, but is a lot more work than
it sounds like.

Setup an SME server the other day, talk about easy server setup, its
based on RH7.3, good for internal lan situations, it has a web interface
that non-techs can learn to use.

Getting ready for our Fall assistance
cycle about 70 agencies came to our Tech Breakfast, which is basically a
presentation about what T4T does, and then agencies are given an
application form to apply for our help.  We expect to get about 50 of
these applications and we will select 20 - 30 to work with.  Our big
thing is helping our agencies formulate a solid technology plan, and the
major thing we try to do (our outcome) is to get the agencies we work
with to become self-sufficient when it comes to dealing with
technology.  An agency only gets one year of assistance from T4T and
that's it, then they are on their own to make future technology plans
and utilize tech resources.

Well thought I would let you know what I was up to, hope to contribute
some of this experience to FGM in the future.

JohnGNUBIE