[frgeek-michiana] Re: FGM Board meeting Tonight, 9/27/2010, 6:00 pm

  • From: marcrrockwell@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:55:38 +0000

I have. Been sick and will not be able to make it tonight sorry

From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 03:46:40 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
To: frgeek-michiana<frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Carol Sanner<csanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] FGM Board meeting Tonight, 9/27/2010, 6:00 pm

Just a reminder, the FGM Board meeting for September is scheduled for Monday
September 27, 2010 from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. It will be held at the Saint Joseph
County Public Library, Downtown Branch, in the Molloy Room on the lower level.

If you have any business that you would like to have considered you may post it
to the list. contact a Board member or bring it up in person.

Board meetings are usually scheduled for the last Monday of each month. All
Free Geek Michiana participants and other interested parties are encouraged to
attend.

For your convenience I have appended the draft minutes for the June and August
Board meetings. Please read them and make any necessary additions or
corrections. We did not have a board meeting in July.

Mike Cook
Secretary/Treasurer of the Board

*** Draft Minutes for June ***

Free Geek Michiana Board Meeting 6/28/2010
recorded by Mike Cook, Secretary

The meeting was held at the Saint Joseph County Public Library (SJCPL), Main
Branch.

Directors Present: Tom Brown, Executive Director; Mike Cook
Secretary/Treasurer; Fr Robert Bower; and Marc Rockwell.

No volunteers or other interested parties were present.

The meeting was called to order at about 6:15 PM.

Tom, Fr Robert and Mike had informal discussion until about 7:00PM when Marc
arrived. No officer’s reports were given.

Tom announced that he would be out of circulation for at least several weeks
due to family considerations.

Tom and Fr Robert discussed reducing the LUG meetings to once per month during
the summer months due to poor attendance.  No action was taken however.

Mike reported that the 501c3 has not yet been completed. The accounting records
are taking somewhat longer than expected due to differences in our accounting
and the categories that the IRS uses.

Mike reported that the warehouse is full again and suggested that if we cannot
get some material flowing out of the warehouse we may have to consider shutting
down operations. Various items were discussed including grants to allow us to
open a thrift store and hire full or part time staff, warehouse sales, and more
recycling. Tom said it would cost $85 to have ADEC pick up some of the
remaining items that we cannot otherwise dispose of. Tom said RBHS has agreed
to allow us to take a small amount of plastic or other trash (1-2 bags) and put
it in their trash dumpster on Thursday nights. Tom suggested that we set a date
by which we need to have our warehouse inflow and outflow balanced. No action
was taken at this time.

When Marc arrived he gave a presentation on membership in the SJC Chamber of
Commerce (CoC) and the Grainger Business Association. The consensus was that
the CoC was a better fit for FGM. Marc agreed to donate 1/2 of the cost of the
first year’s membership in return for being FGM's representative in the CoC.
The board agreed to Marc’s proposal. Marc will get final confirmation of the
fees and costs associated with the membership and report back to the rest of
the board.

The meeting was adjourned at about 7:45PM when the library announced their
closing.

The next board meeting is scheduled for 6:00 – 8:00PM, July 26, 2010 at the
SJCPL Main Branch. Fr Robert has said he will be unable to attend.

*** End of June Minutes ***

*** Draft Report for August ***

August Board Meeting

Board Members Attending:
   Fr Robert Bower, Mike Cook, Tom Brown

All attendees were present at 6:00PM

Although we had a quorum, since there were no Agenda items an informal
discussion was held about the state of the warehouse and LUG (Linux Users
Group).

Fr Robert said that due to poor attendance he canceled the Wednesday meeting
for August. He also mentioned that we are attracting people from out of the
area to the Saturday meetings since there are few LUGs in the region.  The Lug
format will continue to be presentation based for the
monthly Saturday meeting and Q&A based for the monthly Wednesday meeting.

Tom mentioned that he was giving a presentation the the Roseland Rotary in
September. He wasn't sure what to ask them for since the warehouse is currently
in no position to accept any large donations, we have no opportunities for
volunteers, and haven't given out any Freeboxes in over a year except to
volunteers.

We discussed ways that we might improve the situation. Tom feels that we must
organize the warehouse before we can attract any volunteers and that we need to
concentrate our efforts on one thing at a time. Mike felt that we need both the
heated and the unheated storage organized and that both could be done
concurrently if we could get more man-hours on the project. Conversation
included discussions about where and how to get more bodies on the ground and
how or if it would be possible. In the end Fr Robert suggested that we should
tell the Rotary that we are currently looking to build infrastructure and that
we need shelving and volunteers who like to swing a hammer. Tom said that he
could ask Big Bob about available used shelving and/or racking. In the end we
decided
the schedule for the next 4 weeks would be to:

9/3  Sort and organize for the pickup of 8 skids
9/10 Sort and organize for the pickup of 8 skids
9/17 Load truck, work on organizing inventory and building shelves
9/24 Start trying to locate used shelving, and building more shelving.

I will discuss with Dale: Working on sub-assemblies for shelving in my shop at
home, where I have facilities to more rapidly make the repetitive cuts and
assemble the panels, and then bringing the sub-assemblies to the warehouse for
final assembly. This may be done on some Thursdays.

We closed the discussion at about 7:45

*** End of August Report ***